mike19

Sep 10, 2008
i have a 1990 kx 125 it has sat up for 5 years almost and i havnt had time to mess with it untill now. i got it running again but the clutch will not engage. last time it was riddin it was working perfectly. i guess from sitting up so long is why it wont engage. i dont really know what to do and need advice so feel free to give any information you can :bang: :bang: :bang:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I've been told they usually work themselves free if plates are stuck from sitting too long. My bike had sat for about four years, so I took plates apart, oiled them up and put back together. Worked great, but I might as well have put new plates in because they wore too thin about two months later.

mike19

Sep 10, 2008
Tom68 said:
Won't engage or won't disengage? Most likely seized cable, does the lever move?

yes clutch lever moves and the lever comp/ clutch rel is what the cable hooks too moves which pushes the pusher. what happens is when you put it in gear first or second and pull the clutch it is still in gear instead of being able to roll the dirtbike is still in gear.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
If your doing that with the engine running it should free up unless moisture has messed up the clutch plates. If you mean without the engine running what your describing is normal, it will skid the tyre pushing forward but you may get it to slip rocking it backwards (lever in).

mike19

Sep 10, 2008
Tom68 said:
If your doing that with the engine running it should free up unless moisture has messed up the clutch plates. If you mean without the engine running what your describing is normal, it will skid the tyre pushing forward but you may get it to slip rocking it backwards (lever in).

yea i worked with it for a couple of min it kinda fells like its gummed up but i gotta change the trany oil anyways and i think it will slip. it started to slip a lil today but not 100% free i think it just needs to be ran

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
my bike was like that when I bought it. no ammount of rocking would free it up, so I put it in first and then pulled in on the clutch while riding arround in my back yard, and lo and behold!... it freed up and has worked great ever since!

Top Bottom