Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I need new clutch plates for my 04 CRF450. When I looked up the numbers online. I saw two different numbers for what looks like the same part.

What’s the difference between the two? Besides the actual part number.

SKU: 22201-MEB-670
DISK, CLUTCH FRICTION (Honda Code 6845143) 2

SKU: 22201-MEN-670
DISK B, CLUTCH FRICTION (Honda Code 7531387) 6

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 265

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Oh, and while I'm at it. the thrust washer #16; is that press fit onto the bottom of the center clutch hub? 'cause it's either that or I've got some hunting to do :ohmy: .

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
since these Hondas are super-duper-high-tech and have all kinds of neat features and whatnot, maybe they are made of different materials?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm almost positive they are different friction materials PK. I'd also be suprised if the washer was not (supposed) free floating.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like in PK's case it's a free range washer :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
:)

Nope, I took it apart again and sure enough there it was. It was stuck to the bottom of the center hub. No magnets necessary.
As for the friction plates there are 8 total: two of them one on either end are one style and then 6 in the center. who knew?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Aparently none of us. :)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
More oil flow. OEM Honda plates are the best plates I have ever used. Service Honda's clutch kits are hard to beat. The outside will spin before the middle. That 450 can toast the clutch in no time, when abused. Mic them, check the steels for dis-color and warpage. Running Xamax completely eliminated plate wear, and cut the hubs to hell! The kits come with the updated springs also. Which way do you line up the little cups on the fibers? That big washer is machined to the point that with oil, it will stick. Pretty sure they have updated the clutch every year.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks for the explanation. The steel plates mic out within spec and appear flat when laid on glass, and the springs are well within spec too. I just placed the order with Service Honda for the gaskets, fiber plates (both types in the proper amounts), a new water pump shaft(I already had the seals and bearing on hand(last weeks order), and a few other odds and ends.
With all of that, I should be good to go by next weekend.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Papakeith said:
Thanks for the explanation. The steel plates mic out within spec and appear flat when laid on glass, and the springs are well within spec too. I just placed the order with Service Honda for the gaskets, fiber plates (both types in the proper amounts), a new water pump shaft(I already had the seals and bearing on hand(last weeks order), and a few other odds and ends.
With all of that, I should be good to go by next weekend.

Make sure you check out the condition of the balancer shaft...

http://home.quickinet.net/pictures/_MG_6891.jpg

This is mine.. It was making a godaweful grinding noise, and pumping water out the weephole like crazy.

New shaft, bearings & seal, and it's good to go!

Top Bottom