Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I just replaced the right mainseal on a '79 MX175 I'm setting up for my daughter. I had to remove the clutch to do it, and got confused when putting it back together last night. I'm using a Clymer and it sends me to table 2 at the end of the chapter for the clutch nut and for the main drive nut. Table 2 simply gives clutch torque numbers for each DT and MX series of the covered years. But it only gives one number for each model ... 36lbs. in the MX175 case! It doesn't have seperate numbers for each nut or bolt, like in some other sections. I was a little unsure, but tightened the clutch nut and main drive nut to 36 ft.lbs., then put the friction and clutch plates in. When it came to putting in the springs and tightening the bolts that hold them, it just said to tighten them criss cross in 2 or 3 stages. It didn't send me to table 2, or give me any torque number!!! What do I torque the spring bolts to? The same 36 ft.lbs.? Is that number for ALL of the clutch components?

I'm a little nervous about just torquing to that. I stripped a rear sprocket bolt on an IT400 using the axel torque in a similar sittuation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

May 5, 2006
Do not torque them to 36lbs, what i did with mine was tighten them untill they bottomed out, then turned them another 1/8 inch or so, Havent had a problem since. My book had no torque specs either, just said to tihjten securly.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom