madmax55555

Sep 10, 2005
I have an old XL175 that is a great bike except for one thing.

When it is cold, everything is fine, but when it is hot, after riding for half an hour or so, the clutch starts to act up.

I squeeze in the handle, shift, then when I let out the handles, the handle goes back but it is like the cable does not let off. It is like I am still sqeezing the handle, so I sit there like I am in neutral, even though I am not holding the clutch handle in..

My first thought was a spring problem, but if it were the springs the problem would occur all the time ( at least I think so ). This only occurs when the engine is hot.

If anyone has any ideas as to what might cause this to happen I would sure appreciate some help.

Thanks, Max

madmax55555

Sep 10, 2005
Bodge said:
Sounds like the clutch is slipping, you need new fiber, and steel plates and new springs.

Thanks for the response.

I would think if parts need replacing it would happen all the time; my way of thinking is either something is broken or it's not. Why does it only happen when it's hot?

I am new to bikes, so sorry if it is a dumb question.

Also, I understand the springs and plates, but what do you mean by fiber?

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Don't know how the bike has been treaded or maintained, how many owners or clutches have been put in it but if it just started soon after an oil change, maybe the wrong oil type was used. If auto oil was used, the fiber plates in the clutch might have absorbed the "car oil additives" and your plates are contaminated.

I don't know if there is a way of cleaning the plates but you might be looking at replacing the plates.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
i_955 said:
Don't know how the bike has been treaded or maintained, how many owners or clutches have been put in it but if it just started soon after an oil change, maybe the wrong oil type was used. If auto oil was used, the fiber plates in the clutch might have absorbed the "car oil additives" and your plates are contaminated.

I don't know if there is a way of cleaning the plates but you might be looking at replacing the plates.

what are these "car oil additives" exactly? I've used motorcycle specific and regular SAE oil for years with no clutch issues.

madmax55555

Sep 10, 2005
I have not changed the oil since I got it, which was only a few months ago. I checked the oil when I bought it and it looked pretty good, so it had a recent change. I suspect it is 10/40, that's what most bikes take.

Top Bottom