goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
I have a 95 KDX 200 and need to replace my clutch plates and springs. What clutch kit should I use? Also looks like the only special tool I need is the fly wheel holder. Is there anything else I should know when pulling out and installing the new clutch kit? Thanks in advance for the help.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You have a couple different choices. Fredette sells a kit that utilizes higher rate springs and plates from an XR250. The surface area is larger allowing for a better hold and more progressive engagement. There are also a number of other manufactures that sell complete kits if stock replicas are more to you're liking.

When replacing the clutch springs avoid the stock 1995 units. Most people found them to be too weak allowing the clutch to slip prematurely and Kawasaki upgraded them on later models. Look to springs from a newer KDX or heavier rate aftermarket springs from a reseller.

David

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Follow up question to Dave

Dave thanks for the response. If I get the Kawasaki kit what year should I get? I assume there is compatability between 95 - to current. Also, other than Fredette is there any aftermarket kits you would recommend like EBC, Moose etc. Thanks

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If you get factory Kawasaki parts just go with 2001 stuff then you won't have to worry about it.

Either EBC or Moose will work just great. There's no need to pay a bunch more on the factory stuff, good quality aftermarket parts will work just as well. They'll likely have a heavy duty kit with stronger springs as well. If you go with an aftermarket kit they'll have the same listing for 1995 to 2001 KDX200/220 so they'll all be the same. Your only concern will be if you order stock 1995 replacements springs from Kawasaki, they'll be on the light side.

David

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
kDX CLUTCHES

is there any way to change the engagement of the clutch , such as make the engagment smaller...it starts to engage from the resting postion almost to the bars....mine is a 96 did they come with weak springs?

Thanks

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The 96 came with the same weak springs as the 95. The spring change was effective for the '97 model year. You can make the engagement more abrupt by removing the "Coned Disc Spring" (p/n 92144-1522) and it's seat (p/n 16007-1162), but if you are getting in there to do that, you might as well replace the springs (and whatever else needs doing) too since it sounds like they may be worn out. I put the Fredette springs and discs (XR250 friction plates) in mine and could not be happier.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom