Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
I want to maintain my bike regularly and I was about to lube my clutch cable but all I have is WD-40. I'm kind of hesitant to use that because it attracts so much dirt and dust. Any ideas or will WD-40 work OK. Thanks.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
get cable lube from the bike shop or get some PB BLASTER (used to loosen bolts etc. but works awesome as cable lube) WD evaperates as it dries so its basicaly useless as a lube. 3 in 1 oil etc. would work also.

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
RED EXPRESS said:
Invest in a cable lube adapter it clamps tight to the cable and forces the lube down inside the cable.
Good idea. I was having a problem with that. Can I pick one up at any motorcycle shop?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Jeff at MXSouth will hook you up with the tool you need. You couldn't drive to a moto shop for what this little jewel sells for online. ($5.39)
While there, buy some more stuff. Great deals now.

Also, WD-40 is fine for the cable. Only the carrier evaporates and leaves a light film of silicone that is sufficient for cable lubing. The carrier will also help to clean out any gunk. 3in1 or any sort of straight oil is a mistake, as it WILL help to collect dirt and grime.

http://www.mxsouth.com/applied/app9cablel.htm

Top Bottom