Is WD-40 realy safe for "O"-rings

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I was at a bike shop and four of the MX guys there told me they stopped using WD-40 on O-ring chains because it will eat away the rubber on the O-rings. They all switched to other lubes. They swear that the chains lasted a lot longer with other lube and no WD-40 being used. Claiming that it ate the O-ring away. I thought WD-40 would be safe on the Orings has anyone heard differently. Maybe the WD-40 is working its way inside the oring and breaking up the grease packed inside.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Dirt rider magazine had an article about taking care of chains a few months ago. They said not to use WD-40 or any other penatrating grease on an O-ring chain because it will wash away the factory grease in the o-ring chain.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Like some chains are made of different quality metals, o-rings also are made of different materials.
A cheap ring chain is most likely going that have rings made of Buna-N material. There are many solvents that can harm this type of material if it is left in contact with it for a period of time. The rings could "swell" or grow in size, or they could become dry. A dry ring is bad news for a chain because it will usually crack as a result of the drying.

Rings that are made of Viton or Nitrile are more robust. They can withstand more harsh chemicals than Buna-N type rings. But even these better rings are not totally impervious to many solvents and chemicals.

WD-40 is a solvent with a light silicone lubricant...of course WD-40 may dispute that claim, but they won't tell you what IS in it. (smile)
Their product is a two way street, as the solvent can indeed harm cheap rings, yet the silicone can actually help to keep a cheap ring supple.

When it comes to penetrating lubes and ring chains, you have touched on a deeper subject than most delve into. Yes, a solvent that is under aerosol pressure can indeed find it's way past a ring. Especially a damaged or cracked ring.
You probably won't see WD-40 wash away lube under a ring. There isn't a clear exit path for that to occur. But you may see the lube get softened, which may not totally be a bad thing, but it can leak it's way back out a damaged or cracked ring eaiser if it is softened. Some ring chains don't use grease for lube anyway, they use thick oil.

Now, if you are using a penetrating lubricant that has more in the package than a light silicone, then you may actually be helping the chain by the penetration. Consider a torn or cracked ring than gets lubed regularly with a penetrating lube that contains moly or other lubricating components...when this type of lube enters a pin/bushing area it will actually help that particular chain reel to live longer than it would if you were using a non-penetrating type lube.

Bottom line, if you are using a high-dollar ring chain and you take pristine care of it, you may get by with using WD-40. However. realise that WD-40 was desinged to be a water dispersant and is a very poor lubricant.
Choosing a penetrating lubricant with quality components is by far a better way to go.

I won't compare chain wax or parrafin based lubes to any penetrating lube, because there is no comparrison. If you must, use ANYTHING besides chain wax or parrafin based lubes. They lost their heads when the developed these items. Actually, they didn't loose them, they had them in a place that I can't mention...since I'm now a nice guy. :)

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I used to spray WD-40 around after washing to help get the water off the chain and motor then wiping the chain off and applying Lube. I think I wont be spraying the chain anymore I will now just apply chain lube to the chain after I wash the bike and towel off the chain...

If I put a non O-ring chain on like for sandy conditions I will spray WD-40 only and not use a heavy lube in order to stop the sand from sticking to the lubed chain. Do you guys use a special lube for sand or no lube at all?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
This is always a fun topic ;)

I buy WD40 by the gallon and spray the bike down after washing it. I especially get the chain good to drive any moisture out. As Jay stated, WD40 is a water dispersent and not a good lube so make sure you always lube the chain with a quailty lube before riding.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
wd-40 contains alchol which is a no no for use on rubber based o-ring chains,it was originally developed to be used as a rocket fuel but did not prove to work very well but it does work as a penatrating lube-just dont use it around rubber based material

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
sunnyboy said:
wd-40 contains alchol which is a no no for use on rubber based o-ring chains,it was originally developed to be used as a rocket fuel but did not prove to work very well but it does work as a penatrating lube-just dont use it around rubber based material
I love rocket science! (lol)
:yikes:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
sunnyboy said:
Rocket fuel, now I've heard them all :clue: :eek:

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Yeah, Rockets are cool... I seem to always get more than what I bargan for here. I never really thought it was bad for rubber. I learned something new today.. I knew this would bring out a discussion.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I've always used it and a brush to clean the chain... I always spray on a good quality motorcycle chain lube when I am done...

- BA

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
WD will clean the chain but will not "oil" it. It probably will eventually wreck the orings. I had a similar experience with PB Blaster. This stuff is great for what its designed for but will destroy an oring in a matter of minutes.

B

biglou

I found this online:
Originally developed as a rocket fuel, WD-39 (as it was then known) was deemed unsuitable for it's originally designed use. One scientist was quoted as saying, "These little red tubes are just too small to allow us to pump enough fuel into the tanks in any reasonable amount of time..." The project was abandoned for several years until researches looking for a plentiful and cost-effective O-ring desolver stumbled across a rusting can with the duct tape label "WD-39" sitting on a shelf in the laboratory storage locker...
Read more here: www.louisfullofit.com :p

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
This is what WD-40 claims:

What does WD-40 stand for?
WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion—a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.

What does WD-40 do?
WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

They claim it's safe for rubber but what do they know...right?
http://www.wd40.com/

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Mac said:
This is what WD-40 claims:...
I was just going to post some of this from their website. And for who ever thought it was rocket fuel you need to get your facts straight.
In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

B

biglou

After some more searching of scientific databases on the web I found this, a partial transcript between several rocket fuelers and mission control (who are clearly agitated over the delayed launch)
"Ground, this is control. What is taking so long? We are already three months paste lift-off."
"Control, ground. We're sorry, but we're givin' her all we got. And besides, right about the time we get into a good steady flow, the little red tubes pop off and it takes forever to find them, especially when they shoot into the tank..."

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
As always, excellent scientific research Lou. I usually use beans and hotdogs to create my own special blend of rocket fuel.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I wrote a small email and sent it to the people who make WD40 about a year ago. This is the question and the response I got back from one of their chemical engineers.

Dear WD-40,

The following submission has been received and entered into the database:

Subject: Technical Question
Comments: PLEASE PLEASE put this issue to rest for us. I am a motorcycle enthusiast and have an O-ring chain on my bike, it is an off road dirt bike. The orings are little rubber rings that hold lubricant in the rollers on the chain. What we normally do is use a cleaner to wash the bike off and then we have a wet chain when we are done. Seeing as it is hard to dry the chain, some people use WD-40 to displace the water and keep the chain from rusting. Here is the problem we are having. Some people say that the WD-40 will dry out the rubber O-rings and cause the lubricant to leak out. Other people say that the WD-40 will actually wash past the orings and wash out the lubricant in the chain. Can you PLEASE put your staff of top notch engineers on this and see if it is true or not. I don't think that the WD-40 causes any harm to the chain but we need a qualified opinion.

WD-40 is a multi-purpose light lubricating oil. The WD-40 will definitely displace and remove the water or moisture from the chain. The "WD" stands for water displacement. It will also act as a rust preventative on any of the metal surfaces. WD-40 will not "dry out" the rubber o-rings. We have found no visible effects on surfaces of rubber, and o-rings. Certain types of rubber will swell under prolonged immersion in WD-40 (this refers to long soaking, and not just a spray). WD-40 is also a cleaner, it will remove grime, dirt, tape, bumper stickers, and oil. It is possible that if there was a special lubricant in the o-rings, the WD-40 could act as a cleaner and remove that oil. The special lubricant would be replaced with WD-40, which is a light lubricating oil. I'm sure their are more superior, heavy duty (and costly) chain lubes on the market. I also know a lot of people that use WD-40 on their chains. Perhaps some experimenting with WD-40 as a water remover and rust preventative, followed by a heavier chain lube, would fit your needs. The bottom line is WD-40 will not harm your o-rings, but it could remove a lubricant that was previously applied to the chain. Any more questions, let me know!

Thanks.. Randy

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Like I said, it can cause some rings to swell and can cause some rings to dry out.

Althought the guy states it won't harm o-rings, then states it can swell them and dry them out, then claims again that it won't harm them.
Amazing.
Was this guy's last name Kerry?

btw, WD-40 is banned from use in the entire Ford global manufacturing system becasue they refuse to submit full disclosure of the ingredients.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Jaybird said:
Like I said, it can cause some rings to swell and can cause some rings to dry out.

Althought the guy states it won't harm o-rings, then states it can swell them and dry them out, then claims again that it won't harm them.
Amazing.
Was this guy's last name Kerry?

btw, WD-40 is banned from use in the entire Ford global manufacturing system becasue they refuse to submit full disclosure of the ingredients.

He never said it would dry out the o-ring, you said that. Are you taking lessons from Kerry?

btw, it doesn't matter what their ingredients are as long as it works, and it does.

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
I have found, with the o-ring chains I have used, that the LACK of constant WD-40 use make the o-rings dry out and crack a whole lot faster! I just wash my bike after a ride, then spray the chain down with WD-40, and I get great mileage of of them.

Alcohol in WD-40?? How is it that one guy knows this, but noone else can find a spec sheet on this stuff?? I dont buy it.

Top Bottom