KAWIDUDE-1

Feb 3, 2005
Hey,

I have a few questions about lubing the chain. I have been using PJ1 chain grease, and chain wax to lube my chain. Now all of my friends seem to like to use wd-40? They spray it on before a ride and when they come back. Now I thought wd-40 was a more of a penetrating lubricant and carrier, than a chain lubricant, am I just crazy :coocoo: ? Is spraying your chain with wd-40 for a long ride fine? I would've thought if its a good as these people say there wouldn't be chain wax/greases on the market specifically designed for chain use. This whole thing started after I had to leave the bike at a friends house and he told me "apparently my chain was very seized" and sprayed it down with wd-40? So does wd-40 make an ok chain lube?

NWKX250

Mar 17, 2005
I've been using kerosene to clean my streetbike and dirtbike chains forever. The kerosene cuts through the crud and strips the chain nice. Its safe for O ring chains. I then use Tech chain lube and conditioner. If for some reason I dont have time to clean the bike properly after a ride, I do spray the chain down with WD40 to avoid rust issues. But I later go in and do what I explained above before I ride again.

NWKX250

Mar 17, 2005
Nope, I use a coffee can, brush and a few rags. Scrub it down and wipe it off. You'll see the gunk breaking apart and dripping off leaving a nice clean chain.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
All the folks who use WD-40 like using it. It is easy and dosn't leave any sort of gunk to collect dirt.
Problem is...WD-40 is about as effective lubrication wise, as monkey snot.
IT IS NOT A SUITABLE LUBRICANT FOR ANY CHAIN WHATSOEVER!

Many will argue with me on this, as they feel that since they use WD-40 like thousands of other folks it has to be the bomb...but in reality it is nothing more than a light duty water dispersant with a fantastic marketing team behind it.
Oh sure, you may get a good year out of a ring chain when using it...but you probably would have gotten the same amount of time by using nothing at all.

Find a nice penetrating dry-film type lubricant if you want to see the same sort of cleanliness of your chain, coupled with something that will actually lube the friction surfaces and rings properly.
And if you find such a lube, you will have no more need for a water dispersant like WD-40, as most all penetrating dry-film type lubes are even better water dispersants than WD-40 is.

NWKX250

Mar 17, 2005
I agree 100%. I only use it to disperse water from my chain after riding or cleaning IF I dont have time to clean and lube with my Tech lube. I would never run a MX or street bike chain on WD40 alone. On my ZX10r I use Maxima chain wax. I tried it on the MX chain, but it wasnt good enough.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Most manufactures of o-ring chains recommend simply cleaning and lubing them with kerosene and that is what I used on my street bikes, wd-40 is convienent though for getting rid of some of the nasty stuff and it is easy. I ususally clean it with either kerosene or wd-40, whatever is handy, then spray it down with pj-1 blue stuff for the final touch. I really think we worry about this stuff to much, 20 seconds into a ride and a dirtbike chain is nasty filthy, the biggest thing to me is to keep the corrosion off of it. Do whatever makes you happy and comfortable.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
tyesai said:
...then spray it down with pj-1 blue stuff...20 seconds into a ride and a dirtbike chain is nasty filthy...
Exactly. Many lubes are a complete mess and a hassle to deal with. I think that is what turns most folks off, as far as chain maint. is concerned.

And no chain mfg. recommends that you do nothing but clean your ring chain. Lubrication is always suggested, and kerosene is not a recommended lubricant.

KAWIDUDE-1

Feb 3, 2005
Thanks for the tips guys. What I've done is taken the chain off, cleaned it, went through all the links with slippery spit, wait for it to dry, and then spray the chain with chain wax. Still, all my friends just cover there chain with wd-40 alone and tell me its fine :ahhh: .

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom