Jun 12, 2004
I dropped my bike off the stand and broke off the clutch perch like a dope. Anyway I replaced the perch with a new aftermarket one from MSR. After installing it my clutch just slips like crazy. The clutch has never been strong in this bike and I've been meaning to replace it. However, after removing the plates, I can't get the clutch rod to side out of the case. I assume this is bad. After researching old posts, I see that been/worn clutch rods aren't uncommon on the CRs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brent

blackoutyz125

Aug 7, 2004
I have an msr clutch perch too, mine seems to grab ok when i start but when i get to high rpms and start shifting it sometimes slips and bits again causing it to bog for just a second. I dont know if its the perch or my clutch. Is that what ur bike does?

KSHAFFER

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2001
you need to have some free play at the clutch lever. if there is freeplay then your clutch is slipping and you need new clutch plates. what gear oil are you running?

Jun 12, 2004
I am running bel ray gear oil. I found some wear on my clutch rod and in fact I couldn't get it to come out when I disassembled the clutch so I think it was hanging up. It felt like the clutch was not fulling releasing when I let out on the lever. I likely aggrevated the situation when I installed the new perch by forcing the clutch through it's full range of movement to get the cable on and off. Another contributor is a badly frayed cable. So I'm gonna replace the cable, clutch pack(with all plates and springs) and the clutch rod. I'll report back later this week with the results.

Thanks,

Brent

Top Bottom