Bryan F

Feb 19, 2006
Clutch Questions......help me please

I rode my new bike yesterday for the first time, everything seemed to be fine, she started up real good. The only thing that concerned me was the clutch. It seemed like it did'nt hook up fast.....it kinda seemed to drag. The bike was'nt hot but it was warm. Its a 2004 KTM SX 125. Is the clutch adjustable somehow?, and whats the little screw thing on the lever?

Thanks

Bryan....

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Your KTM has a hydraulic clutch. The screw adjusts the lever position. You say it is your "new" bike, is it new or new to you ? It may be due for clutch plates. Also, there is a KTM section where this thread should go - the Japanese bike do not have hydraulic clutches like the KTM's unless someone installs an aftermarket one ( which I have been doing since '97 ).

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
What type of oil is in the trany?
The screw is an adjustment for lever-bar length. Depends on how big your hand is, how far the lever is from the grip..

oldfart613 is correct, for the clutch question you pose, you might have better luck in the KTM section.
Being a previous KTM owner (6 months), I do have a limited knowledge of their clutches. But, a slipping clutch is a slipping clutch and the median used to get a clutch to engage & disengage make zero if the plates are worn out or contaminated with energy conserving oil or a super-slip additive. My KTM clutch was non-adjustable to my knowledge but was flawless in operation.

Bryan F

Feb 19, 2006
Yesterday I took my bike out for the first time, just down the street and back. When i took off, the clutch seemed like it may be slipping a bit on take-off. It did'nt grab like I thought it would. It seemed like the bike did'nt want to go until the clutch was almost completely released, is this normal for the hydraulic clutch?, as I have never rode a bike that had one before.
Are the clutches on these bikes ajustable?

Any help would be appreciated,

Bryan

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
The clutch is not adjustable, it is self adjusting - this is a wonderful thing until parts reach their service limit - then there is little warning before failure - not so wonderful

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
When the lever is pulled all the way in, it's not common for hydraulic clutches to drag a little bit. If it's not fully engaging (left hand off the lever, right hand giving the bike gas) then the plates are probably done.

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
Bryan,
Your bike is a 2004 125. That alone would sugest your clutch is toast. The only way to be fast on a 125 is to abuse the clutch, especially in the woods. Don't worry, replacing a clutch is easy although a bit pricey. good luck.

Mark

Bryan F

Feb 19, 2006
Well, once my hand is off of the clutch....she goes.....I guess the thing is, is that it dos'nt seem to want to go until it is probably 80-85% released (the lever i mean) once its out, the bike has no problem, just seems like the clutch is way far out before the bike wants to go. No problems shifting, It will start in gear, (with the cutch pulled in of course). Is this normal for the hydraulic clutches to feel like that or do you guys think their might be a problem?

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
Bryan F said:
Well, once my hand is off of the clutch....she goes.....I guess the thing is, is that it dos'nt seem to want to go until it is probably 80-85% released (the lever i mean) once its out, the bike has no problem, just seems like the clutch is way far out before the bike wants to go. No problems shifting, It will start in gear, (with the cutch pulled in of course). Is this normal for the hydraulic clutches to feel like that or do you guys think their might be a problem?

It sounds like you don't like the clutch lever position for engagement. The engagement point is adjusted by turning the red thumb nut on your clutch lever. If you can't adjust this, then your clutch plates are probably worn and near the end of there life.

Top Bottom