midlifemoto

Oct 4, 2007
just getting back into riding after a 20 year break from it...got a 2006 KDX200....back when I was racing mx in the mid 70's - mid 80's we never used the clutch to shift up or down, just bang away at the gears...don't ever recall having a gearbox failure either...is this ok on my bike? I've been hitting the local mx tracks and it feels weird to use the clutch everytime but I don't want to blow the thing up, thanks

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
midlifemoto said:
just getting back into riding after a 20 year break from it...got a 2006 KDX200....back when I was racing mx in the mid 70's - mid 80's we never used the clutch to shift up or down, just bang away at the gears...don't ever recall having a gearbox failure either...is this ok on my bike? I've been hitting the local mx tracks and it feels weird to use the clutch everytime but I don't want to blow the thing up, thanks

It probably won't if you back off the throttle when you shift. I have a CR250 and a KDX. My KDX doesn't seem to shift that smooth without the clutch so I use it on that bike most of the time. My CR250 shifts like butter without it so I almost never use it on that bike. The KDX has a wider ratio trans than a MX bike so that may be what makes it a lot notchier with clutchless shifts. I've been riding since the 70's and never used the clutch on my MX bikes. Never had a trans failure either. Shifting dogs always looked perfect when I rebuilt the engines so I'd say if it really doesn't seem to hurt anything. This is much debated subject but my last copy of MX action mag had a blurb on this in Q&A stating most MX racers seldom use the clutch except to power out of corners. Most hold the throttle wide open and shift without the clutch..... For whatever it's worth.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom