Do you use the clutch when shifting?

Richard-XR

Nov 5, 2001
Just bought an XR650R and was wondering if you have to use the clutch when shifting.

Used to race motocross for a few years back in the late 70's and early 80's and I never used the clutch when shifting, neither did anyone else I knew.

First 4-stroke I've owned, so I didn't know if things are different.

Let me know what you guys think - I'd be interested to find out.:silly:

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
I have the habit of always using the clutch when upshifting and downshifting.
In my opinion, the people who say that it makes you lose time are wrong. Under some circonstances it may even save you time.

If you upshift without using the clutch, it won't make any damage to your gearbox or anything else. (if you do it right, of course)

david

Last edited:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Depends on how/where I'm riding. If I'm just cruising along not riding hard, I'll use the clutch to upshift. If I'm really hauling ass, especially over very rough terrain, I'll almost always shift without the clutch. Just back off the gas a little and nudge the next gear.

I always use the clutch when I downshift.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Nudge is bad. Shift as firmly as possible up and down, easing it into gear wears out the dogs. No synchronizers on a dirtbike tranny.

Oh ya, lifting out of the throttle, for a fraction of a second, should also be done on no-clutch upshifts.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I guess I shouldn't have used the term "nudge," as I don't really do that. I let off, shift as quickly as possible, and get back on it. I don't just eeeease it up into the next gear slowly.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I think I know what he kinda means about nudge, I just put light preasure on the shifter and let off the gas, while the gears are in trasisition from drive to driven the shifter gives and you follow it through with your foot sugly into the next gear, you dont want to kick the shifter out of the dogs while there is still drive pressure on it is what I think hes saying.

B

biglou

I use the clutch for starting out and for bringing the revs up in corners and for woods riding. Other than that, I don't use it much. I had heard before and just read today in "Pro Motocross & Off-Road Motorcycle Riding Techniques" by Donnie Bales that the downshift should/can always be made without clutching. It says there are no/minimal loads on the cogs during this.
I dunno how bad it is for the bike but I do it all the time in the fast stuff.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I don't use the clutch much unless its just play. When I'm haulin arse (if you call what I do fast) I just back off the throttle and shift up or down.

Eric82930

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
wear on tranny

I ride a 98 klx300 and shift alot because it has a narrow power range. I don't use the clutch much because it shifts better without it. This spring I had split the cases to check it out and all my shift forks were worn where the pin slides through the groove in the shift drum. I replaced all 3 while I had it apart. The gears, shafts and dogs were not worn AT ALL... I feel the shift forks would have worn out either way, and my bike usually takes less lever pressure to shift without the clutch anyway (as long as I let of the gas). Since then I hardly use the clutch at all except to get more boost.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
big lou,when you say"use the clutch out of corners" are you feathering or "using" i find its kinda funky trying to feather the clutch on the 426, i'll go in hard on the corners,pull in the clutch,brake, get to the apex, off the brakes and off the clutch. or am i missing out by not feathering,seems to die on me.......oh, might as well weigh in, no clutch up**** here, let off the gas a touch, and SLAM'ER UP!

Adam 982

Mar 29, 2001
I Always use the clutch when i upshift.. but not always when i downshift.. i like to use the engines compression braking help me slow down for the corner which is why a thumper would be perfect for me but i guess i'll just have to make due with beating up my 2strokes :mad:

o ya.. if you own a RM.. DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO SHIFT WITHOUT THE CLUTCH!!!! Those trannies are made outta peanut butter.. i rode a CR for 2years without a problem but then i switched to RMs and smoked a tranny in the 1st month :silly:

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
Adam 982 : are you sure that there wasn't another problem with the tranny of your RM ? I can't see how upshifting w/o the clutch can damage the tranny, especially on a motocross bike intended for competitive use.

david

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I usually use the clutch for normal riding. The only time I dont is when Im hanging on for my life, and need all my fingers on the bars! :)

motormichael

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
Clutch or no clutch?

I have always used the clutch for all shifting up and down. The only time I did not use the clutch was on up shifts on a drag bike. The method that was used then was to apply firm upward pressure to the shift lever and as soon as the throttle was slightly closed the transmission would shift positively into the next gear up.This was done to save thousandths of a second. I feel using the clutch is especially important on big bore bikes and four strokes because a miscue will be costly. I had a CR500 that shifted just fine until I shared the bike with a friend for the day. He did not up shift with the clutch and I think he may have reapplied the throttle while he was trying to engage the shift lever. No more 3rd gear. If this happens in most four stroke motors, except the new CRF 450, the shrapnal goes thru not only the tranny but the entire motor. Get out your wallet.Think about how much torque is constantly going thru these big 4 stroke transmissions. Also to note, I do not go thru many clutchs. I try to keep the shifts precise and smooth with minimal clutch slipage. I agree with Adam about some of the RMs. The transmission components are made of softer materials than say a Honda. I have heard of entire trannys smoked because of a piece breaking off. I would think that anything you could do to lighten the load on these transmissions would be beneficial.One other thing. If you get used to using the clutch all the time, stalling the four stroke becomes less likely because you are probably already covering the clutch.

Top Bottom