gowen

Aug 2, 2000
I'm having a problem with my clutch on my YZ. It started slipping a few months back and so I took it apart to find the plates to be good, so I installed 20% stronger aftermarket springs, well that fixed it until now.. It started slipping again, but, the plates are good, the friction plates.

Well, I'm going to replace the bunch anyways. I found a special pack of Barnette Dirt Digger plates for $65. It comes with all plates and springs. The stock clutch is $17 per friction plate and $11 per pressure. THere 7 of each.. :ugg: So, I'm not sure which one I should get. Is OEM better than Barnette? Price doesn't matter, I just want a long lasting clutch on it, so my friends can enjoy it without the clutch slipping.. :)

Thanks

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
measuring it with a micro meter.. I'm measuring according to the factory service manual. I am way into specs. almost new condition.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
My '89cr250 had trouble with going through clutch plates WAY to fast. So I put on stiffer springs and added an extra friction plate. The clutch lasted for years after that but was hard to pull. At $11 per plate, it was well worth the tradeoff.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
The plates are in good shape, the current ones.. I don't understand this.. Well, I do have some water in the tranny.. Cause the oil is coming a light grey color. No grit. I am using normal SAE 10w40 oil. Castroil I belive. Should I be using something else? I've never had a problem before.. Should I sand the plates? The springs are a few months old and were 20% stronger. It is going to cost around $170 to replace to stock plates. I found the dirtdigger kit off of ebay. :-) Supposly in the package, I saw pictures and everything, it is made for this bike, so, I'm happy.. Anyway, I would like to keep these plates seeing that they are not bad.. I'm just curious as to why they slip.. Is it cause I get some water in my case? I just replaced the waterpump seal.. I hope it doesn't leak. That wouldn't be cool. SHould I use a diffrent oil?

Thanks

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
go with stock plates and a hinson basket if you need a new basket but even the dude at hinson said hinson clutches dont outlast the stock metal/fiber plates, my firend had a hinson basket and stock plates in his yz and it lasted him a year and 1 racing season that pretty good and the basket has no grooves in the teeth, well hope ya fix the problem, also go with the stock springs too

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
also wih the cr's they use aluminum plates for the metal ones which turns the oil a greyish color my brothers cr125 and my firends 00 cr125 does the same thing its totally normal, altough if your oil is milky coming out it does mean anti-freeze or water is getting to the gearbox which is no good, check to see if the water pump gasket is worn or the seal, becasue over time gaskets get deteriorated from oil,gas,and coolant

morph

Dec 7, 2001
i have to ask are you keeping an eye on the plate warpage as well as the thickness.Do you adjust the freeplay correctly,this helps the most and on the water in the oil subject...not good
clutch plates being designed to operate in oil have the friction material
bonded to the plate with a water based bonding agent so the last thing you want is water mixing with your plates.what i recommend after a w/pump seal failure is to fix it asap and run the bike for 5 mins using the cheapest motor oil you can find(in your gearbox ofcourse)and do this atleast three times before refilling with your gearbox oil of choice and stay away from motor oils with friction modifiers as this will render your clutch useless

Last edited:
Top Bottom