Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I have searched about this but here is my situation, 2000 cr250, clutch is starting to slip. I went riding with a buddie and he really noticed it more than I did but we took off the clutch cover anf found the plates wearing groves into the basket :scream: It still has oem clutch so it is time anyway....What parts do I need, I was looking in rockymountain, basket, plates and springs......Dennis kirk sells a Pressure plate, does this need replaced? I have hear talk about the "hub" What is this and does it need replace? is that the center clutch? Any help is appriciated. What parts are reccomemded, I was looking hinson basket, EBC plates and springs......again I need to know what aprts I really should be looking to replace im a n00b to clutches.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well if the grooves aren’t real deep you can mill file them on the basket & the inner hub as well. If they are deep then bite the bullet & go aftermarket as you say. Be sure to check/replace the springs & of course the fibres. Possibly the steels if they are warped or coned.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I talked to someone who used to race 250's in the local area yesterday and had him take it for a ride. He said just replace the basket and the plates. I think the presure plate is ok. I still dont know about this inner hub stuff, I guess I will have to tear into it, how can I judge if that needs replaced? do they gennerally need replaced? Hows a hinsion clutch basket ans an ebc dirt racer kit sound, anyone use this combo of products?

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
The Hinson basket sounds good, so do the EBC plates and springs. If the inner hub is notched, then replace it, you could file it down but replacing is better. If the pressure plate has deep grooves in it from the old plates, then it too needs to be replaced.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
Im gonna try to tear into it on wensday, I hope I can get away with the basket and the ebc kit for thats all I can afford right now :ugg:

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
i found one for my cr for 85 bucks from RM, I am just waiting till I tear it apart to see if I need a presure plate or inner hub before I order anything. How hard is it to replace the basket and plates?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Relativly easy if you pay attention to the disassembly. Remember to pay attention to the order that you remove your plates. Be sure to have the new fiber ones soaking in oil for a bit prior to instalation. Then reinstall.

Good Luck,
Phillip

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I got the clutch apart today, and was happy and mad at the sametime. My basket is notched and definalty needs replaced, my plates are warped(brown and blue) and one fiber plate was missing pieces! The good news is the friction plate looks good and so does the hub. I gonna order up that hinson and ebc, I just wish those stupid baskets wernt so expensive. Thanks for the advice guys!

Top Bottom