bbeverage

Mar 7, 2006
I have a couple questions. Thanks in advance for answers.
1. What brand clutch kit would be recommended. I do a lot of hill climbing so I'm rather hard on the clutch. I'm looking at the DP race Full clutch kit is this a good kit for the $140.00 or EBC..ect
2. Is there a general rule to determine when to replace a piston. Can just the old piston be re ringed? Just because i assume a new piston will require re bore, or does the piston wear not the cylinder wall? If I need to go with a new piston what brand? I am looking for the best combination of power and longevity.

Thanks,
Brian

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
As far as when to change rings, depends on how clean you keep the air filter, if your jetting is correct and how consistantly you mix your gas. I use a compression tester for mine, but you can usally sence that the bike is not pulling at the low RPM as hard as it should, or it won't be starting as easily. If you always ride with the throttle pegged, you will probably have to go with a compression check. Some guys are actually good at "feeling" the compresion with the kick starter - not scientific, but it works. Basically you have to be in tune with the bike. I usually go through 2 sets of rings per piston change assuming the piston isn't scuffed up and within spec at ring change. I replace upper bearing and wrist pin at piston change. The OEM Honda stuff is actually pretty good. Keep your trany oil changed regularly and it will give good service. Regularly cleaned air filter will keep the piston/ring life good. I have 5 filters pre-oiled and bagged. When the last one goes in the bike I clean and oil the other 4. I change my air filter pretty much every ride if there is any sign of dust when I'm riding. It never goes more than 2 rides without a filter change. Good maintenance habits will make your stuff last longer than will a specific brand. :nod: As far as boring at piston change, the newer bikes have realy hard coatings on the bores which allows for many piston changes unless something goes afowl.
Hope this helps

Top Bottom