ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
can anyone tell me how to know if it's the cdi box or coil that is not working...here's the story...bike all of a sudden wouldn't start...checked plug: no fire...clymer manual: checked resistance on primary and secondard lead...had resistance...still no fire...checked resistance on plug lead...had resistance.....could it still be a bad coil or is my cdi box messed up....where can i get an aftermarket coil or cdi box....and please don't say "the dealer"!!!....please help really, really wanting to ride.....bike is an 87 kdx 200...thanks guys (and gals)

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
If you take the coil to your local bike shop..they should be able to test the coil for you. I took mine in and got it tested for free. I was told that you can't test cdi's, but for some reason I think there is a way.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
thanks i will try that monday or maybe tomorrow, i bet an auto parts store would check it

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i have tried different plugs...still nada...well jasonwho...please let me know when those come up for sale, in the meantime i want to be riding right now....i really need to buy a 03'

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i have checked or at least i think i have for bad grounds or cuts in wire....i disconnected the kill switch, still nada. took my ig. coil to autozone today..he tested it but told me he need to know what range it was suppose to be in...i told him my clymer manual doesn't give a range, only a primary and secondard resistance w/o a range...what he tested is not what the book list, but who's to say if it bad if there is suppose to be a range of resistance allowable.....I"M SO DAMN CONFUSED AS TO WHAT MIGHT BE MY PROBLEM. worse yet i hate my dealer, as does everyone else in a 100mi radius, but i digress. I'm wondering if maybe my timing got off, could the screws loosened up while i was riding then when i turned it off it wouldn't start back???

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom