coil, stator, cdi?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
ok, i've read many threads on this subject, but not sure if any have actually convinced me of what my problem is. Problem: 2weeks ago, bike wouldn't start: no fire: took ig. coil off, looked at it like i new what it was, put it back on it started, this weekend got on, started(but not easily)...rode for a few hours, then took a break. got back on, no start, no fire...have clean ig. coil connectors, and tested coil and plug wire and used new plugs...still no spark...the coil checks to have resistance, not the resistance my clymers says but resistance nonetheless. then i started reading about stators going out on everyone, could this be the problem and not my coil. the bike is an 87 kdx200. i would very much like to come to a solution QUICKLY so i can ride....god i hate not riding!!!...thanks in advance

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
my stator was tricky like that when it went out last time, even though i had resistance, I started replacing everthing starting with the kill switch, then cdi, then coil, then plug cap, and it turned out to be the stator after all. I Found it best to buy the plate and harness all together instead of having to souder stator coil wires.. talking about tricky stators again, it would spark when i had it all apart looking at it, but when i'd put it all together,, no spark...oh well.. it needed a new igintion any since bike was 14 years old anyway, it cost me about 450 bux to replace all of it. But do check your kill switch wires at the button to make sure they are not grounding out on the handle bars.... good luck.

B

biglou

Start simple with the kill switch. Try just disconnecting it under the tank and see if the bike starts. Kill it by holding the brakes and letting the clutch out in gear. I have heard horror stories of crud getting in the kill switch and causing all kinds of headaches. I would start there and see if you find anything.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
thanks, had already tried the kill switch not the problem, although last night i had a few spare minutes and took the left side cover off---water, not a lot but definite water....i suspect this be the source of the problem....is drying right now...will try to get back to it tonight...any ideas on what the water did...(i'm guessing it fried my stator?)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Check your pic up coil, but with the year of the bike my money is riding on the CDI bugging out.

Phillip

jeepman8098

May 31, 2002
I had a bad resistor in my sparkplug boot once that caused wierd problems. It only cost three bucks to replace.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i've tried the new boot..and that wasn't it either

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Just for snots and giggles take off the coil again and put it back on. if you have spark now clean the area that the coil bolts to nice and shiny. See if you can find serrated shake proof washers to bolt it back down with and cover everything with dielectric grease. For some reason I am from the thought of the stranger the problem the more likely it is a bad ground.

the values from your ohm meter should tell you something .Sitting here in front of the computer away from my manual and actual wires to test I can't be too sure but I believe you test a coil three different ways, you should have a test looking for an open circuit; making sure nothing goes to ground, a test for very low resistance; testing the primary winding and then a test for moderate resistance; testing the secondary winding of the coil. If you have a value that is not in spec , it is quite the possibilty you have a winding beaking down possibley giving you erratic performance and/or ready for a complete shut down.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
well got down to the stator last night...and i'm more confused than i was. I checked resistance across my "red/white and black" and my "yellow and black"...yellow turns out was not even attached to my stator...but yellow is for the lighting, which i don't have, so that shouldn't have squat to do with it right?....all i know to do is this
: i'm going to borrow a more accurate multimeter from work today, measure everything again, see what is in spec and whats not....then proabably not get my parts in time to ride this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
it would be very cool if you could borrow some ignition parts from another bike to test,, anyone else got a bike like yours?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
unfortunately no, or at least that i know of. the only thing i've been able to do is try different plug wires, hook and un-hook coil, take stator plate off--stare at it like that would fix it---put back on.....test resistance across anything that looks like it might want to resist.....(who told me to like motorcycles anyway!!!).....i did sit on my streetbike in my warm garage and pretend it was my dirtbike, that helped!

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
update(if anyone cares): went to autozone, they don't have an ohmeter nor where they willing to check it because they know nothing about motorcycles and think the coil need to be on the bike. went to o'reilly, they don't have an ohmeter.......i'm thinking i should buy the stator, if it doesn't work at least i'll have a new one?! :}

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
maybe you ought to make a post in the just kdx forum? somebody in there just might have an actual shop manual for your bike and be able to scan/copy and send you the info you need to test your ignition? just a thought.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…