Considering a new KTM, but concerned about quality control and reliability

Mark Parsons

May 10, 2000
I bought a new KTM 300 EXC a few years ago and found quality control problems and it never did run quite right. Anyway, KTM has come out with a bike that closely fits the type of bike I'm looking for right now. I'm seriously considering either the 450 MXC or 450 EXC. Can anyone give me some feedback on how these RFS bikes have held up over time? Any reliablity issues or problems of any kind? I'm just a little hesitant to try another KTM after my last experience with one.

greeneb

Jan 15, 2000
Define a few years ago.... after '98, KTM has been producing quality machines, IMO. I know many, including myself, that ride KTMs and haven't had any problems.

I think you would be pleased with the new KTMs.

EG

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by greeneb
Define a few years ago.... after '98, KTM has been producing quality machines, IMO. I know many, including myself, that ride KTMs and haven't had any problems.

I think you would be pleased with the new KTMs.

EG

Ageed 100%.

Every model out there has a flaw some can find and make a big stink over. All in all the KTM is closer to the top when it come to Quality than the other big 3. Just as with any new bike don't take things like grease and bolt torque for granted.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Agree 100% as well, love my 400. I just read the article mentioned and if you read past the hype, it sounds like a very nice bike.
As for me, I may have to wait a year or so to find out ... :whiner:

motomickey

May 9, 2002
I have had KTMs since 84 (along with all of th other big 5 and a husky & gasgas, and husaberg.....). There has been some serious improvements in the qa of the bikes. This is especially true since the new generation frames came out. I had a 99 380 - nice bike, on par in quality with anyones. I now have a 2002 250 sx and would have to say the quality is above the other brands. You still have to perform proper maintenace etc. (Make sure you don't run the chain too tight) After 6+ months of racing, riding and generally loving the bike, I have had one failure-the rear brake return spring....big woop, $2.45. Hey MC went to KTM because of the bike-not the money.

crdaug

Feb 19, 2002
From what I have experienced there is no bike that even comes close to Honda for fit finish and reliablity. Two of my riding buddies bought into the whole exc thing(its got a extra size tank, headlight , kick stand). Well one has already switched back to honda and the other is not a very happy camper. If there is a bike that the Japanese don't offer IE 200 two stoke, 300 two stroke, then I might think about it but if you are looking for a 450 four stroke or 250 two stroke go red. Just my opinion, but we don't have to carry as many tools now that we only have one KTM in the group.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Originally posted by vntgmx
all I can say is if your worried about the quality of the new KTMs then you sure as heck better not buy a Jap bike.... :D

That is not a fair assessment! All Japanese bikes are very reliable along with KTM and Husky. The other Euros are getting pretty good as well. Frankly the only differences in Japanese vs. European is small items like handlebars, and weight in certain models. THe only big advantage of the Euros is the abundance of competative enduro models. Husky or KTM each have more enduro models separately than the Japanese combined.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
crdaug, unfotunately we don't carry any tools in our riding group, except when one guy shows up on the green thing, but then again all five of the guys I am riding with are riding orange.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Let's not get into the red 'v' Orange thing !!!

Honda recommend a piston change on the 450 every 30 hrs.

KTM recommend top end maintenance every 100 hrs.

Who's more worried ?

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Man, I don't come in here for months and I'm still getting crap. What's up w/that '033? Anyway, Mark, I'm a die hard Kawi fan and have been for years. I love mine. But if I were getting a new bike, I wouldn't hesitate to go Orange, even w/the obivious cost hike. I've even ridden some weinies KTM ;) and was really impressed with the quality of the thing, even w/the big bore kit on it. If I can fanagle it after my divorce, my garage might include the new 525 MXC.

motomickey

May 9, 2002
crdaug-surely you couldn't mean the 450 CR as being reliable? See airfilters etc. As for the 250 2 stroke, don't think the're as fast as the KTM-even the mags admit that!!!! (They also tell you the KTM needs suspension work-it does) Seriously, the question in the tread was whether or not the KTM was reliable-not whether or not red/green/blue/yellow was reliable. And the answer is they are and they are much better than before. Next time you're servicing your shock linkage, think about how that's another 2-3 hrs a KTM rider is riding!!!! When you're thinking about new tripple clamps or mounts for big bars, think about the KTM already has them.....And also think about the dealers-for some reason, KTM dealers seem to support their product much better than alot of the others.

crdaug

Feb 19, 2002
Motomickey, all I can tell you is that I have ridden with some KTM guys for a couple years now and if there is a bike that breeaks down on the trial it is usally the KTM's. Maybe you don't have the same experience because we are talking apples and oranges(no pun intended). I ride and race exclusivly on trails as do my KTM buddies. We ride pretty hard and will get a few miles behind us in one day. The guys on Hondas are not the ones with broken spokes(that the dealer will not replace even for the guy who broke 4 on his first ride), the broken kick stand, bolts ralttling off, hubbs blowingup, clutch lines breaking(that is popular). As I think about it may be more wrenchs get turned at home with the honda guys(in my group) and that is the reason. But I will say again that I would not buy one after witnessing what I have, which is a flip from two or so years ago when I was going to buy a EXC.

crdaug

Feb 19, 2002
Found this just posted on Woodsracer.com

WARNING, 03 KTM Triple clamp failures
"KTM Sportmotorcycle USA, Inc., has discovered a serious and dangerous condition in some KTM full size competition motorcycles. The affected models are 2002 250 EXC Racing, 2003 200 EXC/MXC, 2003 250 EXC, 2003 250 EXC Racing, 2003 300 EXC/MXC, 2003 450 EXC/MXC Racing, 2003 525 EXC/MXC Racing and 2003 525SX Racing. Some of the lower triple clamps (part number 590 01 031 120) are improperly manufactured and will break in service. The triple clamp is the part that connects the fork head and handlebars to the fork tubes.

We are working closely with KTM in Austria to quickly find a solution to this problem. The safety of our customers, and the reputation of our product must be our first consideration. This is a very serious situation and we will do everything in our power to resolve it as soon as possible."

I thought that air filter thing was pretty bad on Hondas part but.......

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
CRdaug,
I have been racing/riding KTMs, I have been converted from red to orange. I have experienced some of the trouble you have described. I had the kickstand bolt problem, which I never had with the Hondas, oh wait they don't offer one. Then I did have the problem with the spokes, of course during my maintenance and setup, I found those before they broke off. I also had that problem with my 01 CR. Just like my CR once the spokes were tourqued correctly that problem goes away. I know Grant Langston had the hub problem, he will never forget that, yet with all my riding buddies, we haven't experienced one hub failure, except for the YZ that one day. Of course if you properly set the chain tension that isnt a problem even on the YZ. By the way, there are about 30 of us who ride/race together, 23 are orange, 3 are green, 1 is yellow, 1 is red and the other 2 are GAS-GAS. The clutch line, not cable, I didnt like the little plastic one so I spent the $39 for the replacement, by the way I never got to enjoy a juice on clutch on my previous bikes.
I don't know which series you are racing, but were we race, orange is the dominant color. It is hard to beat the EXCs when it comes to engine, suspension, trick parts, and quality for offroad racing. The only company that has been close in the past has been GAS-GAS. It took my riding buddies several years to get me off of my ride red mount. The $300 and 2 weeks to get the rear linkage going was my last straw. As you can see if you check my profile, I still own one, I just can't let her go. I think that the Jap MC manufacturers do a great job building a moto machine, but for an offroad off the floor racer, you are going to have a hard time beating the Euro machines.
As a side note I commend Yamaha, their WR machines with the e/start should be a viable weapon in the woods. I hope the rumor of differant cam and ignition profiles gives us more broader powerband than in the past.
I also understand that KTM is getting the message out as fast as possible and working on an immediate resolution. The problem with the triple clamp is a serious matter.

See you on the trail. :aj:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
BOTTOM LINE - ALL brands have their problems - with no exceptions. Like several people above I've owned and ridden virtually every brand and most are reliable.
Last year I switched over to thumper and doing my research EVERY brand had problems, it came down to the bike with the most complete package that I didn't have to upgrade(WHY spend $1,500 AFTER paying 5-6k on the bike?).

Mark Parsons

May 10, 2000
For some reason the dirtrider.net site wouldn't load on my computer for the last couple of days and today it took about 6 minutes just to get to the KTM forum. Anyway, the first day I took out my brand new '91' 300EXC the base gasket leaked. I took it back to the dealer for the repair and when I picked it up the mechanic said that it also had the wrong head on it. These are some significant quality control problems IMO. It really made me cautious about buying another KTM. I've been riding off-road bikes for almost 32 years now and never had a problem with any of the 35 or so Japanese bikes that I've had. It's just that now KTM finally came out with a bike that has close to what I'm looking for at this time so I'm considering giving them another try.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Give them a try. 1991 has been a while.

I can or many others can give you a list of Jap bike problems and oddities as long or longer than any KTM list you can compile.

On a side note I have heard the 1991 head problem was an issue and was fixed for most we had one too.

As far as the triple clamp issue that is the hot subject now, I think KTM is doing a great and super fast job of getting to all the dealers and working on a solution. For years guys complained that KTM only told the dealers on a need to know basis of real problems...well yes this is a serious issue and no time was wasted getting the word out. I thinks the KTM community should take the time and start commending KTM for there efforts on this one. Many will say that it was a "quality control" issue. Sure it probably is but again it was well identified and a solution is on thwe way. Crap happens all the time in manufacturing and how it is handled tells the true colors of a company.

Mike S

Last edited:

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Gawd, What a bunch of whiners. You whipppersnappers shoulda been around back in the day, early 70's. I had a 72 CZ400 that didn't make as much power as a modern 250.. Just to finish a dez racec was an accomplishment.. You had to carry a ton of tools just to trail ride.. 3, yes 3 inches, of crappy travel, a low pipe, no silencers, nonfunctional drum brakes, steel linered cylinders and air cooled.. My 400 ate the air filter nut once cracking the case under the crank. Once in a dez race I had the top of the Jikov carbuerator [actually just a controlled leak] unscrew itself and seized the bike.. I had another CZ400, a 76 Falta, that had a powerband like a 125, all on top.. You guys just don't know how good you have it.. I could go on and on about reliability and faislures, etc, etc, but you get my drift.. In my experience , overall KTM has been exceptiionally reliable and has excellent dealer support..

Last edited:

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Good post zilla.

Around here KTM's rule the Off Road world. Any sunday at the local trail head you will see 15-20 KTM's to any other brand. I have never had any problems with my KTM's. The most important thing when it comes to picking a bike is dealer support. If your KTM dealer is a jerk you will not have a good experience with your bike. Same goes for the Jap brands. It has been my experience that most Jap dealers that also sell KTM do not do as good of job of taking care of the KTM guys. My dealer rides what he sales and is a true enthusiast. As for the triple clamps issue I think KTM is handling the situation very very well. My 99 blew one of the rows out of one of the radiators when it was 2 years old. KTM replaced it for free no questions asked. I took it into my dealer to ask how to fix it. He said "Lets call KTM to see if they will give you any help" I left it with them. I called the next day and was told that my old on was in the mail back to KTM and they had a new one on its way back to me, at no charge. I give more credit to my dealer for this than I do KTM. It just made the orange experience that much better!

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
In the last ten years KTM have been to the wall and back (near bankruptcy). A 1991 bike and associated problems might as well have been from the Planet Zog Motorcycle Corp.
1991 KTM are not the same company as the 2003 KTM.

KTM are innovators-it takes less than 12 months to filter new idea's through to production bikes. The Japs take years. For example-electric starts(not needed according to them - GET REAL), proper lighting, alloy bars, etc etc etc.

Yes the yolk fault is worrying but how many of us do 70' table top jumps?

Would I ride for years without the yolk failing?

PROBABLY!

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I own 3 Hondas, but my next bike (hopefully Christmas) will be a KTM. Why? Superior dealer, superior stock components, superior stock performance. Spending $500-700 to fix stock components is truly a waste. Try explaining it to your wife/girlfriend why your brand new bike needs new bars, chain, graphics, skid plates, spark arrestor, pipe, etc.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I have just switched from a 01CR250 to 02 400exc. So far both are awesome bikes. I do HS and trailride. I am a journeyman tool and die maker, with many years experience working with metal. I am also very very finicky with maintenence on my bike. Everybody keeps saying how KTM puts much better parts on stock, bars and chains are the only thing better and thats about $150 bucks, big deal. You cannot say there suspension is better, they just have the right suspension on the right models. Owned my CR for 2 years now and never even replaced a wheel bearing(kept greased from day one). I have only had my KTM for 1 month and am already seeing some wear on the bike that has got me worried about what will it be like in 1 to 2 years. In my opinion the KTM's materials and machining quality are not even close to the Honda. Fit and Finish - Honda buy a mile,; ready to race in the woods- close its hard to beat a super light bike with a wonderful motor. Guess you got to give alittle to get a little.

Top Bottom