arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
I damaged the radiator (there are 2) on my '95 Husky WR360; I had to choose between ordering it from the US for about $500, or having one made down here in Colombia for $40.
Not having much money I decided to go for the $40 one. I've used my bike twice with the new radiator. THe first time I had no problem. THe second time, the spark plug got busted (I dunno if this has anything to do with it, the guys at the workshop said all it was was that the carburator was dirty).
My question is:
Is there anyway I can test the performance of the cooling system - radiator, such as measuring the temperature while the engine is running? If so, where could I get such specifications?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Ed

KTM400EXC#232

Mar 19, 2001
Caterpillar diesel engines make temp recording stickers
Don't know the part number, but they are small enough to stick on radiator to record max operating temp.

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
Will do

Cool. I'll try to find them (If anybody knows where I can get'em in the US or latin america please let me know)

But, once I get em, what should be the max temp my radiators should present? I'm gessing below 100degrees celsius....

KTM Pete

Sep 26, 1999
Water temp.

my understanding is the water temp. should be about 240F (~120C) w/50/50 antifreeze mix, 220F or so with Water Wetter + water.
Your radiator cap is set to release at a given temperature. If you're not losing antifreeze and the radiator is the same size you should be okay. However, if the cap is old, it can release prematurely because the spring and/or gasket gets fatigued.

PaulXR

Jul 29, 1999
The cap releases on PRESSURE NOT temp. The 1.4 stamped means 1.4X sea level pressure (14.7 PSI) so it would release at about 20 psi.

KTM Pete

Sep 26, 1999
Paul- you're right, of course! However, the higher the temp., the more the pressure increases. BNikes that lose coolant have too much pressure because they're too hot.
It figures an air-coolled guy would point this out!:)
Pete

PaulXR

Jul 29, 1999
KTM Pete Hey who you callin a air cooled guy! I started this forum thing a good while back when I had a XR400, moved on up to the east side now to a KTM 300 EXC. Yes to the point the pressure and temp go up together but the cap only "sees" pressure. (The head gasket can allow combustion gas into the cooling system and pop the rad. cap also.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The cooling system is pressurized to increase the boiling point of the coolant. Remeber science class in high school where you learned about water boiling at a lower temperature at higher altitudes? The cap is designed to release at a specified pressure, but the cap's release pressure can change over time. It may release at too low of a pressure letting coolant escape. Or it may release at too high of a pressure causing gaskets to leak. There may also be other mechanical problems that allow combuston pressure to leak into the cooling system.

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
thanx

Let me start off by thanking y'all for your replies.

Now, From what I have read, I think I have the following impression:

Providing I have a properly functioning cap, the performance of my cooling systen is O.K as long as I am loosing no coolant.

Is that right?

PaulXR

Jul 29, 1999
Yes for the most part, the cap would allow fluid out IF it was too hot or the pressure was too great. The only other thing if the new rad. cooled TO MUCH! (That is not a worry so keep an eye on the over flow/vent line and go ride!)

Top Bottom