Cost effective point and shoot

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Looking to replace our old Olympus. It's been a great camera. We use it alot, indoors and out. Mostly shooting the kids and other people. Looking to replace it with something under 150 bucks that will take good quality pictures and give us a long life like the olympus. My wife wants something that refreshes a bit quicker between shots, we've looked at some Canon Powershots, but they seemed slow. Does anyone have a good suggestion on something to check out? Thanks! :blah:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Joe - Fast costs, just like at the track. If you want to shoot action shots it's worth investing in a DLSR.

The Canon PowerShots have proven time and again to be outstanding cameras even in the $150 range..
I sure liked mine :
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=143275

Here's a grouping of 0-$150 and $150-$250 camera reviews from Steve's DigiCams. It should give you a good idea what the trade-offs are for the various cameras.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/know...era-holiday-gift-guide---sub-150-cameras.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/know...-holiday-gift-guide---150-to-250-cameras.html

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i just saw a canon powershot sx120 for a gift and they seem a very nice camera, very cheap. under 150 $ i guess is hard to find better...
they have loads of features for the price but i´ve never used one so could be more marketing than enything.
no bigger flash mount though.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
From my understanding 8mb should hold a couple or three hundred shots. We transfer them off the camera regularly so the card doesn't have to be huge. It's crazy how expensive some high end cards are......

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I love my Nikon DLSR and wouldn't own anything else for serious stuff but they make some pretty weak point and shoots. The worst are usually in the "style" line. I'd keep looking Joe. ;)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
_JOE_ said:
From my understanding 8mb should hold a couple or three hundred shots. We transfer them off the camera regularly so the card doesn't have to be huge. It's crazy how expensive some high end cards are......
Joe I have not seen a 8 mb card but if you meant 8 gig I can get anywhere from 1400 to 2300 on one. that is shooting at 15 megapixels.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Dang, I meant gb not mb...... :bang: ;)

Rich, thanks for the heads up. Any brand that stands out in the stagnant pond of p&s? We have an old Olympus my life loves, it's just REALLY slow and takes ****ty pictures in low light. I'm looking more for decent speed and low light abilities, even if that means spendin a couple more bucks. I'd get some better glass and flash for the DSLR but she want's something more portable......

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
That Panasonic seems to get really good reviews. I played with the older version of that camera, the Zx1, a few times and thought it was great. Panasonic makes a lot of really nice cameras and the Z3 seems like a decent choice.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Lol, yeah Bob, it's the same as the black one!

I'm going to try to get to the store and play with one, I'll let you guys know how it looks.....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nikon D100 for 200 bucks, used and supposedly works. What does it cost for the factory, or a reasonable facsimile charge to refurbish? And is it worth it, or wait till its dysfunctional?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Unless you are a camera collector a D100 is just a paperweight these days.

Top Bottom