geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
EXC 00 200 with stock counter shaft sprocket and chainguard.

It's leaking badly again after I replaced bushing, seal, and oring just a month ago.

I think it leaked slightly after the fix, but now profusely again, and I believe I installed everything correctly, in the order that I saw it. It worked for awhile, anyway.

So what is the true fix? I've heard about using two orings.....where? and I've heard about using a fatter oring. And I've heard about using liquid sealers.....

Any suggestions that might work? Thanks.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Could the breather hose be pinched or blocked ? Did you ever replace the c/s sleeve ? Are the C/S bearings worn ? I have used thickrer orings in the past but not on KTMs Does the crankcase build up alot of pressure or something? I once had a KX500 that when it needed a top end it would weep oil all over. I guess too much comp went past the rings , I thought that it only would happen on a 4stroke but the pressure actually pushed past the r/s crank seal a little . That bike was always running high speed fireroads @ 80mph then getting abused in the woods in the Jersey pines . Maybe the chain had once been too tight and put some play in the c/s bearing. My buddies 200exc was a great bike but the rings were like $80 but who cares because they lasted about a year with like 10 enduros run . His bike had the strangest thing happen to it , the kickstarter shaft splines stripped out , not on the kicker but on the engine shaft. I never saw that happen ona bike ever except on that bike , you know shifters shafts sometimes strip but not kickershafts. He just brought over his new 03 200exc and its a beauty . Its got giant forks , and a digital speedo . Trick Good Luck DEAN

wayne dunn

Mar 25, 2002
i think you will find the c/s output bearing in the box is worn if this is a recurring problem and you didnt damage the seal when you fitted it.
I see oil leaks on automotive (front wheel drive) gearboxes when the differential bearings are worn and take out (wear) the final drive seals.
Check to see if you can feel any play or put a DTI on it and check for movement i wouldn't expect more than 0.001"/0.002" if every things good.

Last edited:

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
I was thinking along the same lines as wayne. Perhaps you have been running the chain a little tight. This can cause the c/s to leak. If you ride in muddy conditions you'll need to run the chain even loser than what the manual calls for. Did you put the bushing in the right way? The flat side goes towards the c/s sprocket. It's also possible to damage the o-ring when sliding it over the splined shaft, those splines can be sharp. To avoid damage to the o-ring wrap a business card around the shaft, push the o-ring on then remove the card.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
My husaberg used to spill oil out of the cs area.
I fixed it by replacing/suplementing the o-ring under the spacer with some silicone.
Is the oil coming from in side of the spacer or the od?

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Most of the oil is coming out right at the counter shaft splines.

Bushing, sleeve, spacer...are these one and the same?

Enduro Engineering tells me the fix is putting a second oring in first, then the stock oring over that. They have a two oring method fix which I will probably be ordering.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom