mxlee4

Feb 20, 2007
hi i am looking at getting a 2000 or above cr 125. what are these bike like. do the have good bottom end as well as top. i know the engines change at 2000 are they better? i would like to know as much as possible about these bikes and if the is any bad points plz let me know and what you think of them.

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
I have a 2003 CR 125 and am very happy with it. We rebuild mine twice a season now and it has never broken down. The suspension and handling is really good which is what you would expect from a honda, although my front brakes have gone a bit squishy recently and I have tried to bleed them about 5 times. I have to admit the engine is not very strong if that's what your looing for. I have v-force reed blocks and a pro-circuit system and it still isn't a fast bike. If you want reliability, suspension and handling then you can't go past this bike but if your looking for power, than you probably wont like this bike.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
patto3 said:
I have a 2003 CR 125 and am very happy with it. We rebuild mine twice a season now and it has never broken down. The suspension and handling is really good which is what you would expect from a honda, although my front brakes have gone a bit squishy recently and I have tried to bleed them about 5 times. I have to admit the engine is not very strong if that's what your looing for. I have v-force reed blocks and a pro-circuit system and it still isn't a fast bike. If you want reliability, suspension and handling then you can't go past this bike but if your looking for power, than you probably wont like this bike.

now this is one honest response, +1 :cool: . the suspension and handling was not what killed the beast, it was power. the 2000-2004( not up to date on any older models)CR125 was the worst 125 you could buy whether you wanted low-end or top-end, but its handling was still pretty good. as i recall, the KX and RM125's were the best-selling and pretty much the best 125's back then it that era. i own a 2000 KX125 and i am very happy with it, lots of power and great suspension/handling.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
From 2000-2003 the CR125 had been rated highly for suspension , but the engine was lacking. 2004 was much improved and in the 2005 Dirt Rider shootout it finished a very close second overall ahead of the RM,KTM and KX. Every bike from the big 5 has its pro's and con's. Pick your favorite color and ride. The KTM has the best engine, but worst suspension. RM is good but doesn't do great in any area. KX just couldn't get it right. YZ was king of the hill for most of the time in question. Closest was the CR in 2005. Any of these can be competitive with a few tweaks. If you don't plan to race and just want to have fun...pick the one that you like best. Ride safe and have a great time. :cool:

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
kawicam250 said:
now this is one honest response, +1 :cool: . the suspension and handling was not what killed the beast, it was power. the 2000-2004( not up to date on any older models)CR125 was the worst 125 you could buy whether you wanted low-end or top-end, but its handling was still pretty good. as i recall, the KX and RM125's were the best-selling and pretty much the best 125's back then it that era. i own a 2000 KX125 and i am very happy with it, lots of power and great suspension/handling.

Oh crap...you again??? ;) Still trying to push that green goblin mobile? :nener:

mxlee4

Feb 20, 2007
but is there quite a bit of difference between a yz and cr engine.both of me m8s have yz 125which are a 98 and 2000 model. if i got a cr 125 2000-2003 would it keep up with them or isnt it relly that good.i like the crs because i have a 97 cr 125 at the min but i want to upgrade to the alli frame.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
If you want to upgrade to the newer frame...go with the 2003. It has the third generation frame and all current parts(plastic,etc.) will fit it. With a few mods you can compete with any of the 125's. Just in stock trim the engine is lacking. I love Honda myself. I bought the 2003 CR250 and have no regrets. The engine was also rated near the bottom of the 250 shootout, but with a few mods...I have no problem keeping up with and sometimes beating riders of similar skill on any bike. Get the bike that makes you happy. If you like honda...stick with it. If you want the shootout winner...get a YZ.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I am very happy with my 2000 CR125. Yeah, it may not be the fastest thing on the track, but I'm not racing.

It hauls my fat 40 year old a$$ around just fine.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I had a 2001 CR125 and my mom had the 2000. The 2000 didn't seem to have any power at all. Absolutely no bottom end. Like what was said before '00-03/04 were bad years for CRs. Even now compared to YZs they aren't great power wise.

My '01 had belonged to local "A" guy. He had it bored .080 over (134cc) and put a PC pipe and PC R-304 shorty silencer. That bike ripped. There was some other stuff done to it, but I can't remember anymore...

You can make it a fast bike, but it takes $$$ to make it good.

Just my .02

mxlee4

Feb 20, 2007
i think the 03 would be a bit 2 much for me as i am short on £££££. i think id be able to get the 01 but what is the 01-00-99 and 98 like. because i know that the 98 and 99 have the same engine as my 97 which is pretty fast. but would the 98-99 engine be better that the 00-01-02-03. thnx

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
You might be surprised and be able to find a great deal on an '03. My dad just sold one with extremely low hours for $1800. Completely stock, didn't even have a full tank of gas through it yet.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
RocketRaccoon said:
KX just couldn't get it right.QUOTE]

oh crap.........you again?!? just what did you mean by that, have you ever ridden a KX? well ive ridden a 2000 CR125, and like what MXGirl said, it had no bottom end. dont bash on my bike, because ive got plenty to say about your brand ;) .

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
kawicam250 said:
oh crap.........you again?!? just what did you mean by that, have you ever ridden a KX? well ive ridden a 2000 CR125, and like what MXGirl said, it had no bottom end. dont bash on my bike, because ive got plenty to say about your brand ;) .

Oh god...here we go again. Its a sad fact that both our brands sucked during this time period. Look up the reviews/shootouts and you will see that your mean green machine and my red rocket both took turns finishing last. Its also true that both our brands could do well with some work. I know you love your bike and love Kawasaki. Just about every post that you make recommends a KX. That doesn't mean its the best. Oh...yes I have ridden a KX. Im sure probably more than you ever had. I lived in a mostly kawi neighborhood. My local dealer was Kawi/Suzuki so that was most common. Only two of us had Hondas. I liked the bikes, but wanted to be different so went red. If you want to be honest with people than tell them to get a YZ. :nod: ;)

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
RocketRaccoon said:
kawicam250 said:
Oh god...here we go again. Its a sad fact that both our brands sucked during this time period. Look up the reviews/shootouts and you will see that your mean green machine and my red rocket both took turns finishing last. Its also true that both our brands could do well with some work. I know you love your bike and love Kawasaki. Just about every post that you make recommends a KX. That doesn't mean its the best. Oh...yes I have ridden a KX. Im sure probably more than you ever had. I lived in a mostly kawi neighborhood. My local dealer was Kawi/Suzuki so that was most common. Only two of us had Hondas. I liked the bikes, but wanted to be different so went red. If you want to be honest with people than tell them to get a YZ. :nod: ;)

i dont pay much attention to what the mags have to say, but if you want it that way, then here we go. yes, i would tell him to get the YZ125 if he was taller than 5'8''-5'9'', but i dont know that( well, no one knows but him). the YZ is made for someone who wants to race or is relatively tall, the KX is made for someone who wants to have fun or is in the 5'4''-5'8'' range. once i know his height/weight, then i'll give my opinion. the KX/RM were winning the shootouts in 03'-04', and KTM won in 02'. i havent seen any 2000-2001 125 shootouts, so i cant bear with you there. i know that the KX isnt perfect for every situation, but a lot of people that come on here wanting a 125 are between 5'4''-5'8'' range, thats why i do what i do. if anyone is taller and possibly looking to race, then they should look into a YZ. Yamaha's and KTM's are also more $$, and usually people that want a 125 dont want to spend any more than $2000. you and i both dont want this to turn into a bash thread, but if you have any more comments( which im sure you do ;) ), then go ahead.

mxlee4

Feb 20, 2007
you know when you say they have no bottom end do you meen that when you accelerate it takes a while to get into the band. and could you please answer this what is the 01-00-99 and 98 like. because i know that the 98 and 99 have the same engine as my 97 which is pretty fast. but would the 98-99 engine be better that the 00-01-02-03. thnx

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
mxlee4 said:
you know when you say they have no bottom end do you meen that when you accelerate it takes a while to get into the band. and could you please answer this what is the 01-00-99 and 98 like. because i know that the 98 and 99 have the same engine as my 97 which is pretty fast. but would the 98-99 engine be better that the 00-01-02-03. thnx

when i, or anyone else, says that it has no bottom/low-end, it means that there's no accel., it means that it doesnt hit the powerband until later. i doubt that the 98-99 engine is going to be better than the 00-03 engine.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
kawicam250 said:
RocketRaccoon said:
i dont pay much attention to what the mags have to say, but if you want it that way, then here we go. yes, i would tell him to get the YZ125 if he was taller than 5'8''-5'9'', but i dont know that( well, no one knows but him). the YZ is made for someone who wants to race or is relatively tall, the KX is made for someone who wants to have fun or is in the 5'4''-5'8'' range. once i know his height/weight, then i'll give my opinion. the KX/RM were winning the shootouts in 03'-04', and KTM won in 02'. i havent seen any 2000-2001 125 shootouts, so i cant bear with you there. i know that the KX isnt perfect for every situation, but a lot of people that come on here wanting a 125 are between 5'4''-5'8'' range, thats why i do what i do. if anyone is taller and possibly looking to race, then they should look into a YZ. Yamaha's and KTM's are also more $$, and usually people that want a 125 dont want to spend any more than $2000. you and i both dont want this to turn into a bash thread, but if you have any more comments( which im sure you do ;) ), then go ahead.

Dude...you need to chill out. Im just having fun with you. I seem to have struck a nerve. Its ok that you like your bike. Its nice to see that you stand behind your brand and try to remain loyal. I do the same with Honda, but I stay true to myself. If someone asks about a certain year CR, Im the first one to tell them if it was good or a piece of crap. I know that you are only 14 so I dont take your posts too seriously. When I was your age I got into many a debates about whos bike is best. Now...many years later I realize that it was silly and the whole point was just to have fun. So relax...take a deep breath and just enjoy your bike for what it is. :cool:

P.S. : Here are some links showing that both Honda and Kawasaki sucked ;) 2003 KX came in last with CR.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=70

2004 came in second :yeehaw:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/product_reviews/article/0,13190,630875,00.html

2005 came in last :eek: CR second

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/features/article/0,13190,1048791,00.html

mxlee4

Feb 20, 2007
so you have to wait a few seconds then the band kicks in then it will just stay in the band cause my 97 cr 125 is like that if you are in a gear and going 2 slow when you got to throttle on it takes a few seconds for the band to kick in then it will just stay on it as long as you keep the throttle on

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
mxlee4 said:
so which cr should i get. 98 to 03 which would be the best.

If you can find an 03 in good shape within your price range get it. With a little tweaking you can liven-up the engine, the suspension is already great and you will have the benefit of the latest alloy frame. It will be easier and cheaper to find parts for in the future. Hope that helps. :)

Top Bottom