Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I seem to have some slop in the upper shock bearing on my /98 CR250. How much is "normal"?
If I do have to replace this bearing, the manual is somewhat vauge on this. They give instructions for making a threaded thing to push out the bearing. However, can I simply warm the top of the shock and pound it out like any other suspension bearing?
Also, there appears to be some sort of spring retainer clip in there...hard to see. Is it only on one side?
Thanks for any help.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The shop manual shows the 'stop ring' is only on one side.  I've never had to change mine since I bought the bike, but using a bolt/tube/washer and nut to drive the spherical bearing in and out looks pretty simple. 

If you try to pound the bearing out, how are you going to hold the shock still if the bearing is really stuck?  I'd be reluctant to crank the shock down too tight in a vice.  Also, the upper mount is near the pressurized reservoir - heating up a gas that is already pressurized might cause the bladder to rupture. 

Overall, it looks like the removal method shown in the manual should work well.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
The bearing is usually held by 2 clips - using sockets or such press the bearing a small amount one way and then remove the clip on the side with the clearance. Then press the bearing out from the other side towards the side without the clip.

Reinstall in the opposite order.

Top Bottom