ctdyno

Damn Yankees
Feb 10, 2007
i have an fmf fatty pipe and an fmf pro silencer on my cr125 and just put a new top end on it and the top end helped out my low end power seeing as its a 1997 and never had a wrench put on it when i boought it but anyone know if jetting or annything will help my low end? and if so anyoneknow where i can buy a good jet kit 1997 cr125r

ctdyno

Damn Yankees
Feb 10, 2007
thanks yea im going to maybe try rejetting cause of the pipe and im gonna try some new reed valves, any reccomendations on the reed valves?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
ctdyno said:
thanks yea im going to maybe try rejetting cause of the pipe and im gonna try some new reed valves, any reccomendations on the reed valves?

Best to rejet after doing a plug chop.. Don't just rejet with no indication that needs it. Since it's used, it's hard telling what's in the carb.

There's a really good tutorial floating around on here somewhere, do a search, it'll show up.

Follow it, and you will be able to rejet the right way.

I have Boyesen Pro Series in both of my bikes, made a drastic difference.

I noticed a very serious difference in the YZ. It has no power valve, so it's gotta scary hit. It's not so bad with the Pro Series Reeds. And the nice thing, I was able to use the stock cage.

ctdyno

Damn Yankees
Feb 10, 2007
umm sorry for my ignorance but plug chop? and advice on reeds? can they help with the low end power problem? imean iknow its a motocross bike and you gotta ride it in the powerband but im doing some trails too and i gotta do all kinds of stuff to keep it from stalling

mxlee4

Feb 20, 2007
I Also Have A 97 Cr 125 And Have The Same Problem. When You Want To Get Straight Into The Band It Takes A While Until It Gets There But Once Its There It Will Stay In The Band. Where As You Want The Power There When You Need It Not Having To Wait For It

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Being a 2 stroke post it's assumed sometimes everyone knows how to ride the bike under different track conditions. Point, recently had a younger fellow come up and tell me he wants a 250F as his 125 has no power low. I watch the boy ride and it's obvious he's attempting to roll the throttle, low band, around his turns (mx track) and expecting to simply burst from the turn upon exit. If no one ever teaches the art of feathering and keeping at 9-10,000r's+ a new rider would naturally assume he doesn't have power. Easy point was getting one of the B riders to show the fellow how to handle the turn and use his clutch/power effectively. Jetting, pipes, reeds are all good things once you can appreciate what they bring to the party. To have the performance add on's without the riding technique can get costly.

ctdyno

Damn Yankees
Feb 10, 2007
any opinions on a reed spacer? what does it actually do? and i know what you mean bot riding the clutch and keeping the rpm's up

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
he means dont just expect a huge burst of power to come from your bike. any/all mods that you put on the bike is not as important as rider experience. if you dont know how to ride the bike, no offense, that could be the problem. if you have a buddy who is pretty experienced with dirt bikes or motorcycles, then let him ride the bike and watch what they do. also watch others ride their 125, try to follow their technique. once i go riding again, i'll post a video and show you how its done :ride: .

ctdyno

Damn Yankees
Feb 10, 2007
na ive been riding for awhile, my dads been riding since he was 14 iknow how to feather the clutch around turns and stuff and that you have to keep rpm'up, it may be some of me just not being used to a 125 cause my brothers yz250 hits real hard in low rpm's and mydads 25o quad does the same
my old 80 was an enduro and had amazing low end power and it could be in like the lowest rpm's and about to cut out and i could twist it and have it takke off, u understand i gotta ride it like a motocross bike so iknow that may be some of it, i gotta ride more with summer coming up i can get alot more time on it but i rode it through all kinds of woods and hopping over logs and stuff and i was pretty good with the clutch but i think i really need to get used to it,but i am gonna be riding alot of woods and trails with it so i wanted alittle more low end, ikno im not using the bike for what its made for so it wants to be full on all the time but i was trying to make it just have alittle more low end, my dad rode it and said it had the same problem, tho ive put a top end on since then, only have a few hours on it with a new top end and that helped alot

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
i dunno but this just seems to be a 125 characteristic... ive seen posts about this time and time again, i dont think there is any mod that you can do to get the bottom end you want... 125's are screamers not torquer's...but i dunno... just my 2 cents

Top Bottom