EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
HONDA CR450 FLUFFY, NOT STUFFY

I got my first ride on a Honda CR450 at Motosports Park ( www.motobyron.com ) The track is open for practice on Saturdays until noon and features all the bumps, ruts, and debris from the previous weekend’s race. Sounds awful but its actually good conditions for testing a bike.

Greg Holman of Service Honda provided the bike and the only mod was a White Bros. Exhaust system, which Greg claimed helped the top end a bit more. Until that point in the day when I rode the Honda, I had been testing the KTM450 that I built for Dave Antolak of TUF Racing. That bike was fitted with prototype Ohlins forks and shock, so I was a bit jaded on the suspension before I started.

After owning and modifying several Honda XRs I thought that from the moment I dumped the clutch the new CR450, the powerband was traditional Honda. Its got a powerband for everybody, ride it like a 2-stroke or a diesel, its doesn’t discriminate. It has a fluffy friendly feeling that makes a good foundation for modifications of personalization. The suspension felt fine to me but Greg had more critical comments because he’s been riding with Jeremy’s MX-TECH valving for the past 2 years. I thought that the bike was very comfortable, even on the slippery harsh conditions of the Byron track.

The most amazing thing about the bike was starting it. After adopting the nervous habits of the ritual needed to start a YZF (say your rosaries, cross your fingers, choke but no throttle, think pure thoughts, etc.) the CR just started like a 2-stroke. The only thing easier is the little button on the right side of the bars of my KTM Adventure.

In comparison to the highly modified KTM450, the Honda doesn’t hold a candle but it is similar and better than a stock KTM400. This 450 only has 1.75hp less than a 520, and the power is more abrupt like a YZF. It’s not for everybody, but in comparison the CR450 has the right blend of components to produce a powerband to suit a wider range of rider profiles. It will definitely put a smile on your face, especially if you ride on big outdoor tracks with technical terrain like slippery off-cambers, rocks or hard packed.

Now I can’t wait to get my 480cc kit finalized to see how the CR450 responds to mods that boost the low end and add some hit to the mid-range.

Eric Gorr

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
I ordered a complete top end to experiment with and I'll keep you guys up to date as we find out more.

Top Bottom