kmg300

Jul 26, 2007
I just bought a 92' CR500 on tuesday off a pre owned dealer. The bike started up fine and ran fine when the dealer showed it to me. However when he did start it he had to stand up on a milk crate to kick start it. But when he did it started and ran great. When I got it home it would not start at all I tried standing on a chair to get leverage. I went through three plugs already. It sounds like it wants to start it pops every now and then. And sometimes smoke comes out. But it just will not kick over. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. I just bought this thing and have not been able to ride it yet and its killing me. :bang:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
lol, its a 500, it takes one hell of a kick.

I know my 250 there are 3 1/2 people who can start it (me, my uncle, my cousin, and my dad can every once and awhile)

But when you start it, blip the throttle, then get to the highest point where the kickstarter will katch, and then give it all you got, it usally takes me 2 to 3 kick to get her started.

I know none of my friends can start it.. but you just have to kick. Also is your choke on? Did you trun the gas on? if it has a kill switch is it sticking?

I dont think its a mechanical thing, i think your not kickin hard enought. It takes a special tallent to start a 500...

Good luck

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yeah, i forgot about that, find a hill, push the bike then jump on (when i do it im im neutral) ill pull in the clutch, kick it into 1st and pop the clutch out while throing my weight down to get traction, and then pull the clucth back in and rev it to get it started...(all while rooling)

You could do the same thing pushing it, run with the bike jump on, and be quick on the instructions above..

good luck :cool:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
If you pop start it, use second gear instead of first.

The other things are where you should start since I agree it sounds like you're just not getting a solid enough kick. Gas on, choke on, standing on something solid to get some kicking leverage (milk crate, a curb with the bike in the street if at home, or bike down in a rut while you're on the berm). You definitely can't just stab at it...you need a long, full kick through the stroke.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If a 2-stroke gives a pop but wont start, I will roll on the throttle just a little during the next kick and they usually fire right up. You have to roll on as you kick, and just a little bit.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If you push start, you better use 3rd gear. Make sure the fuel is on. Choke is on. No throttle. If you care to, lean the bike over until fuel druns out of the overflow of the carb. Kick from top to bottom slowly for a 3 or 4 kicks to prime . Then bring the bike to top of the compression stroke. With the kicker all the way up, give a solid kick ALL OF THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM. 2 or 3 kicks is all it should take to start. If stock, the '92 should have decompression scallops in the cylinder, so it shouldn't be too hard to kick, but is still quite a bit more than a 250.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
darringer said:
If you push start, you better use 3rd gear. Make sure the fuel is on. Choke is on. No throttle. If you care to, lean the bike over until fuel druns out of the overflow of the carb. Kick from top to bottom slowly for a 3 or 4 kicks to prime . Then bring the bike to top of the compression stroke. With the kicker all the way up, give a solid kick ALL OF THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM. 2 or 3 kicks is all it should take to start. If stock, the '92 should have decompression scallops in the cylinder, so it shouldn't be too hard to kick, but is still quite a bit more than a 250.
The slow 3-4 kicks to basically prime the cylinder has always been the easy start process of all the 2t's I have owned. But sounds like you need to learn the right technique to kick that thing over. When I had my Honda 350x 3 wheeler, that thing was impossible for me to start until I figured out the proper technique then it was a snap.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I raced a 92,I had someone else start it! You should view AJ's technique,absolutely priceless! Kinda of a double kick! I never messed with the jetting or timing to see if it could be cleaned up. That bike was so bad for me,if I killed it and was not near a steep hill,I was done! Hauling a guy around that weighed 250 lbs gets expensive,I guess AJ weighs about 165? So yes,it is technique,lay it over sideways,precise throttle control and tdc. Praying and cussing does not work either,for me!

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
My buddy has a CR500. Technique is key...like stated before, lay it over till gas runs out of the carb vents, rock it back and forth in gear (second gear) a few times to prime the engine with fuel, push the starter through a few strokes and give it a mans kick. His nearly always starts on the first or second kick.

You may have worn reeds, the wrong plug, or cruddy gas. You may just need to learn the "right touch".

Keep trying.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
It's definitely all technique. I'm 5'6", 165 lbs., and have "bird" legs. I have no trouble starting my 500. Actually, when the bike's warm, I don't have to get off the seat to start it.

Top Bottom