Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I have an '02 CR80 and I have been mixing my gas at a 32:1 premix ratio. I have been told that this is way too rich for a CR80 and it shows. It smokes a lot and wet oil drips out of the silencer. I was wondering what a good premix ratio would be.
THANKS!

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
That is the correct ratio for a mini, they require a little richer mix, cause you have to make it scream to make power,
what kind of oil are you using?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I believe 32:1 is what Honda recommends and they probably have some idea of what ratio should be run in their bikes.

Most likely, your bike is jetted too rich.

Read this:
http://www.eric-gorr.com/techarticles/carbtuning.html

A good start would be to try dropping the needle (raising the clip) one notch.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I just rejetted my bike. I dropped the main jet 3 numbers, and went up two numbers on the slow jet. I was going to try to run a 40:1. But it seems that that might not be a good idea. Maybe I'll do a little more jetting work...

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Bad idea. Only go down 1-2 sizes on your main at a time, keep running 32:1, and go DOWN on your pilot jet 1-2 sizes. Most of your spooge is probably coming from the pilot/needle.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Studboy said:
Bad idea. Only go down 1-2 sizes on your main at a time, keep running 32:1, and go DOWN on your pilot jet 1-2 sizes. Most of your spooge is probably coming from the pilot/needle.

What he said. :)

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
The thing about that is I am running with a lot of engine mods. So I think I'm going to need to guess and check with the carb for a while. Would running a hotter plug, like a BR8EG help?

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
Red Rider 53 said:
I have been using Red Line fully synthetic oil. Is there other oil you would recommend?

Everybody has their favorite, I recently switched from bel-ray to castor927, smokes less, and smells good :laugh:

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
ride it wide open in 5th-6th gear for 10-20 seconds and then pull the clutch, and hit the kill switch. then take the plug out and see what color it is.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Oh, thats what a plug chop is, I dont have a long enough straight away around here. Castrol927, huh. I have seen it advertised. Is it expensive?

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Alright, I went out to the garage and did the following. I dropped the pilot(slow) jet 2 numbers, dropped the needle clip 1 notch, and cleaned out the entire carberator. I got it all put back together and was going to take it for a spin, but there was no resistance on the throttle cable. The resistance was fine when the carb cap wasnt screwed on and it was just dangling, but when I screwed the cap on there was no resistance on the cable! What is going on! Any advice would be great, I'm gonna keep tinkering with it, but if I could get a little insight on the problem that would be very appreciated.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Make sure the slide goes down into the carb all the way. You have to line it up and make sure the needle goes into the hole at the bottom of the carb bore. Don't force it, just ease it in there.... :think:... nevermind. Good luck, YZ165

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
DRZ_Dad I know the castor smells good, but you'll have to tell us how your powervalves, topend, and exhaust look carbon wise in 20 running hours.

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
Well a cr80 does not have a power valve, My son rides WFO, so I'll need to check the topend after 20 hours anyway,
Besides that, Maxima has been making oils for a long time, just because the guy at the Yamaha shop told you to run yamalube and that anything else will gum up your motor doesnt make that accurate information...........

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
DRZ_Dad, you have the exact model bike as I do, could you help me out with this? I lowered the clip one notch, and put everything back together, go the cap screwed in. I went to start the bike and there was absolutely no resistance on the throttle! What is going on here?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
You should have raised the clip.

There is a notch in the slide that runs it's full legnth. If you don't line it up with the locating pin inside the slide bore, the slide will be stuck at the top of its travel and there will be no tension on the cable.

I would suggest that you don't try to start the bike 'til you fix it.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Vic said:
There is a notch in the slide that runs it's full legnth. If you don't line it up with the locating pin inside the slide bore, the slide will be stuck at the top of its travel and there will be no tension on the cable.

Yep.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I found it! Jeese, I should've noticed that. Raising the clip is bringing it down toward the main jet, correct?

I just ran it, and I cant tell whats going on with it, I think it is doing well. I can't open it up at my house unfortunately. The bottom end is fine, and the top is fine, but when it is in the midrange it feels weird. Very throaty and choppy. I was bogging it however in the midrange. When I take it out to the track tomorrow I think it will run correctly. I hope it will run correctly. If anyone can recognize what my engine is doing from the description, I would very much appreciate it if you could enlighten me.

Last edited:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Red Rider 53 said:
Raising the clip is bringing it down toward the main jet, correct?

Yes, raising the clip will bring the needle down toward the main jet.

Top Bottom