Nirvana520

Sep 29, 2009
Ok so about a week ago i got a cr85 from a 13 year old kid..who lived with his grand father who knows nothing about dirtbikes only how to mix oil and gas so im pretty sure he NEVER changed oil not even once cuz when i got it it was almost bone dry on oil..i tried to start it starts first kick idles fine but when u gas it it just bogs down..i drained the gas and oil put new gas and oil in it (i know i used the right kind) but now that it has oil its spitting it out.. so can someone tell me what could be wrong with it? try not to guess too much cuz im going to buy anything you think would help or fix it even if it cost more than the bike did cuz i got a great deal on it it has a few upgrades like fmf fatty pipe shorty silencer few other new things but yeah sorry for the long post but please help me

Nirvana520

Sep 29, 2009
i mixed it like my local shop told me too.. forgot what that was lol but yeah almost everyone said i need to rejett it just thought id post here

Nirvana520

Sep 29, 2009
and btw could someone tell me or post a link how to rejet it? and do i have to buy anything? its a 2005 honda cr85 fmf gold series fatty and shorty silencer idk if anything else is upgraded thanks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If he didn't change the oil he never replaced the piston / rings.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
well, i would start by cleaning the air filter, give a good clean to the carb internals with compressed air, check the reeds between the carb and the cylinder, changing the packing on the silencer and measure the compression of the cylinder.

easy things to do, fast, basic and cost efective. if this don´t work (wich i doubt) then go from there.

Nirvana520

Sep 29, 2009
i cleaned the air filter cleaned the carb checked alot of stuff changed spark plug and some other stuff then got my neighbor who works on bikes to look at it and the piston is burnt like hell on the top and the ring is broke and wore out.. so thats the problem right? buying a new piston and ring today

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Post detailed photos of the piston, ring, cylinder bore & spark plug and MAYBE somebody can take a stab at it. Working blind based up your description leaves A LOT of fuzz in the picture.

Nirvana520

Sep 29, 2009
spark plug is brand new.. piston is burnt bad all over the top the ring is broke in 1 place not in half.. but its still broke and wore out but i dont have a camra... im replaceing the piston and ring anyways i just wanted to know if a burnt piston and broke ring would make it lose power and bog down badly.. cant even ride the bike

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I see no reason why the bike would run like crap if the piston was burnt and the ring was broke. I mean it's not like they have anything to do with compression or anything.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The power band.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Call your local Honda shop and ask them which power bands they have in stock. Often times you can get one they have several of hanging on the wall for less than the aftermarket ones and it's OEM quality.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Nirvana520 said:
im replaceing the piston and ring anyways i just wanted to know if a burnt piston and broke ring would make it lose power and bog down badly
i guess you´re the one that will tell us.

but if you´re not sure about rebuilding the engine, please take it to a shop. at least for some advice!!! it is hard to tell from here...
you do need a service manual to do yourself that job. the service manual has a trouble shoot section that will tell and show you what to do.

and before you ask it, a service manual can be found on honda website, auction website, haynes website, and many others website that google can bring to you. if you don´t like internet go to the nearest (or any other) honda dealer.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well lucas I prefer the stock ones because they do fit up much easier than those adjustable ones KaleCo offers. Sure if he wants to have the ability to adjust things they are great but then he has to buy the special tool for adjusting it on the bike or he'll have to suck it up and removed it each time and use a vise.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
use a vise? no way... this is a very precise work and a 250 ton press is a must!

and they are great guys to deal with. i have bought the brass balls. they're the only place i know that sell the kit of 3 i needed. all the other places only sell 2.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have got to agree with Helio on this one Pat, if you are going to work on an 85, with a 250 ton press, you really need 3 balls! Nirvana, if you do not have good compression, what is going to happen? If the ring broke, it was because the bore is loose, or it seized at some point, YES? I would plan on rebuilding the top and bottom ends, just for good measure. And no more trips to grandpas, or make him rebuild it! Vintage Bob

Nirvana520

Sep 29, 2009
im not 12 and dont live with my grandpa.. the kid i got it from was lol i took it to the shop today they checked everything they said its the piston thanks anyways

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nirvana520 said:
i took it to the shop today they checked everything they said its the piston thanks anyways
Did you ask about what powerbands they had available? I mean if they are going to tear in to it ya' might as well....

Top Bottom