Randol

Apr 19, 2004
My son's 2003 CR85 started blowing big time oil out of the pipe coupler. I mean big time, it gets on your legs. I'm thinking iv'e lost the crank seal on the right side of the engine. Although the plug doesn't foul or Isn't wet with oil. The bike is 2 months old with around 5 tanks of fuel through it. Main jet is a 122 with the stock needle dropped one position. I don't think it it could possibly pump this much fuel through and still run. Planning on draining the trans oil and measuring the volume to detect any loss.
Has anybody else had this issue?.

Rich_Simon

Jul 11, 2004
Unfortunately I have the same problem with my son's 2003 CR85 Expert. The problem is the way they designed the coupler. There isn't a rubber seal in there, instead it has a metal expansion ring that wears out almost instantly. I have replaced it and the leaking stops for a tank or two then it starts again. My Honda shop say's its normal, but I have been searching for an aftermarket replacement. If anyone knows of one, please let us know.

BTW. The plug is clean and it is running great and in my case I know it is not crankcase oil. Its just the sludge that 2-strokes tend to make. Especially when not being run real hard.

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
I would hate to think the crank seal is gone already, there are several different methods for testing for leaks, seems to me if it were a rich condition the plug would tell the tale, Rich is correct on the stupid little pipe/silencer seal, you can can a small bit of black rubber hose and replace the original seal and use two small hose clamps to secure it, paint the hose clamps black and you can hardly notice them,

by the way, have you changed the pipe or silencer to an aftermarket?

sampson

Nov 5, 2002
80's tend to do that unless you are spot on with your jetting. I think boisen(sp) sells a ruber oring styal exsaust flange.my 05 cr85 has two rubber orings on the flange update for this year.
QUICK FIX on my 02 cr80 I used Honda rubber gasket(hardening ,not non hardening) maker and it stopped the uzing from the pipe and exsaust flange works great.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom