breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
My son has out grown his crf80 and wants a cr85. I ride a kdx200 and he thinks the 2stroke sound and power delivery is great. The problem is we trail ride and hill climb, while the kdx is great for this, I'm not so sure about the cr85. I told him I thought this is more of a race bike and he might be disappointed with it. I guess my question is can a cr85 be tuned to trail ride and give good low end grunt and not foul plugs if lugged up a hill or two.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
In stock form, he's going to have to be really good with the clutch and throttle control to ride in those kind of conditions and not hate it. The CR85 is stronger in the mid to upper rpm's, not so much on the bottom to mid. The RM and KX 85's and KX 100 are stronger in the bottom end, but they are still weak compared to a KDX or a CRF 80.

If you don't mind adding a flywheel weight, a pipe, and possibly even porting it, you could make it rip in the woods, but you will get more low-mid power at the expense of high RPM screaming.

He's at a tough age, where the best bikes he fits on, aren't really made for the type of riding he's going to be doing. And the bikes he fits on that are made for the type of riding he does, aren't as high performance. All the 80/85 2 strokes are motocross bikes, and they are meant to go fast on a track (small bore 2 strokes like to rev), which doesn't always make them ideal woods bikes. They can be made into good bikes for the woods, but stock they have some room for improvment.

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
"In stock form, he's going to have to be really good with the clutch and throttle control to ride in those kind of conditions and not hate it. The CR85 is stronger in the mid to upper rpm's, not so much on the bottom to mid. The RM and KX 85's and KX 100 are stronger in the bottom end, but they are still weak compared to a KDX or a CRF 80"

I will agree that the pre 2005 Honda is a light switch, but the 05-06 models have a different powerband than previous models.
Our 05 has more low-mid power than our RM ever did, plus it can rev out higher.
I wouldn't hesitate to put him on the CR.
I do agree that a flywheel weight would help in the hills, but let him ride it first to determine if he really needs it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
he flywheel weight is a great addition! Made my sons much easier to ride off-road. We had Eric go through the engine a bit ago and told him exactly what type or rider and riding, all I can say is once again he nailed it! The bike is significantly better, power delivery is much broader and it still rips oin the mid to top without overworking the clutch hand down low.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
We have a KX85 punched out to 100cc and ride woods exclusively. My boy got on it after mastering a PW80 and it's just fine in the woods. But it obviously takes some experience to ride. If your boy has mastered the CRF80, he'll adapt fine to an 85. A flywheel weight would definitely be a good idea, though we don't use one. A bottom end-mid range port job would be nice too.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
scott110cc said:
hi my dad is looking for a py80 or 90 for my little brother without any gears do you know where he could find one

scott110cc said:
does anyone know a good place to take my 110cc dirt bike

You should start your own thread to ask these questions, as they are completely off topic of this thread. Instead of hijacking this thread, start a new one and ask your questions there.

Top Bottom