jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
noticed a build up of some spooge on my last ride, on the clutch cover near where the kickstarter shaft comes out, i thought it was just a loose nut maybe, but cleaned it off and i have a crack in my clutch cover, the outter one, my thought was to get some jb weld and be done with it but i didn't know if anyone knew if it could be welded?, and also the stock replacement is not that expensive, like $45 on bikebandit.com, anyone know of any aftermarket clutch covers, and is it worth it to buy a carbon fiber guard for it?, any input appreciated, thanks

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
figured out how it cracked, it's from the kickstarter, when it goes down all the way it hits the clutch cover, it's the fredette kickstarter, anyone ever have this problem before?

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I cracked mine about two months ago. It was the weirdest thing. The kick lever hits the peg before it hits the clutch cover. But it still looked like the kick lever did it????

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I was doing maint. this am on the KDX. and Yep! it's cracked again.

Do you think aftermarket (wider) pegs would keep it from hitting the clutch cover?

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
that's what i was going to look into, like the ims pro-series footpegs, i just don't know if i want to spend the $85 for them and still have it do the same thing, i was also wondering about an eline clutch cover but then again i don't know if it would cover that spot, i might go back to the stock kickstarter if it happens again, i just jb welded mine, but then i'd have a $60 kickstarter sitting around doing nothing so i'll have to see if mine does it again

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I was also thinking about the possiblity of take the kick starter and rotating it one groove forward so it might not kick so far down. I'll post anything that seems to be a solution.

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
does it now, smart a#$, i just did a search for "cracked" and didn't see anything of use, the "anyone ever have this problem before" was referring to the fredette kickstarter and if anyone else with the kickstarter had this problem.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
I just got a FRP kickstarter Friday 7/18/03 and it came with a slip of paper warning that if your pegs are worn the kick may hit the clutch case and damage it. Put it on yesterday and the clearance seems very close. If I move it forward a notch on the spline the kick hits the pipe and doesn't fold in. :-( I had the words half out of my mouth to order the IMS pegs when I was on the phone for the kicker last week. Looks like I will be making another call to FRP since my left peg is messed up anyway.

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
jamin326,

Check out other options for the IMS footpegs. I got mine from someone on the justkdx website for 30 bucks. I don't have the FRP kicker, but it sounds like you should invest in the wider pegs.

Top Bottom