ihillig

Sep 25, 2001
i inspected my '90 cylinder for cracks and found 2 cracks near the exaust valves, but very small cracks, and i mean small, looks like only through the plating, and i dont think there is any coolant behind where the crack is. now that i think about i found a little water on where my head gasket was when it was running but the gasket looked ok, i mean it was a little bad but no major problems, if i need to but a new cylinder there is one on ebay right now, and i dont feel like putting it back together and having another leak. what do you think of this?
thanks

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well it is impossible to diagnose without seeing it & I would suggest likely case scenario, the plating is about to fall off in that area which will spoil your day.
Maybe.

Probably best to send it to a reputable tuner/plater to have it inspected/replated, usually damage can be repaired before replating. Best to spend your money into re-con rather than buy an unknown quantity which being 10+ yrs old may be more of the same.

ihillig

Sep 25, 2001
called erik gorr today, said the cracks were a normal occourence and i would be fine runing my bike with them. (plus fixing it is about $370 he says)

motox

May 21, 2001
Ihillig,

Me again, your bike seems to be in the same shape mine was 18 months ago when i bought it. my cylinder was cracked in same places. My plating however was gone. I ended up buying a used one with most valves intact for 150.00. Buy that one on ebay if you can. It has a that broken auctuator arm though. If your plating looks ok put that sucker back together with new piston etc. get the valves replaced and go ride. Mine totally kicks but now. Especially mine. yesterday was doing hill climb/jumping off top and landing on old rail road. First ER visit yesterday. 6 stitches and severe bruise to knee.

ihillig

Sep 25, 2001
thanks man, youve been a big help, my plating is good so im gonna slap it back together and hopefully sell it.
thnaks again
illig

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom