Crank bearings... replace every time you split the cases?

liven07

Mar 29, 2009
yeah I hope my bike last long, I have a lot of work and money in to it. Who ever had it before me ran it into the ground every thing from a blown engine to brakes, tires and everything in between. I should of just parted it out(nothing better to do in the winter I guess).

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
whenfoxforks,

its funny how you assume my guy uses a hammer, I bet you also assume he does not have 28yrs experience and also works under a leanto behind the wood shed.

read I posted cranks as in hes done many for me and the people I fix bikes for. I would trust him with a motorcycle crank any day as many people with small aircraft are flying thousands of feet above trust his work.

Most machinists are very particular and if they are not comfy with a job will turn it down, so with that I would trust any established machinist that says he has done cranks before and says no problem. I have another guy who does the other machining for me and he goes the extra mile and everthing comes back bead blasted and cleaned perfectly he also picks up and delivers for no charge.

$125 is a rip off or an up charging middle man at the motorcycle dealership that uses a trusted local machinist.

so reepincheap find a local guy that does this sort of thing and interview him for the job :cool:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
It cost me $60 to have my crank rebuilt, and this is because he charged me an extra 10 because I supplied the hot rods crank kit. The crank came back bead blasted, threads cleaned up, and pressed together nicely. I was very very happy. RB will press a crank for you for a very minimal fee. $30 I think for up to 200cc, and $15 return shipping. $45 is a great deal, and probably 10 to ship to him, so $55ish? About what I paid locally.

J.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I took 1,000 hours of machine shop training in school. I followed up with working in various job shops for around 10 years. I really do not assume anything, but the worst is fact. You take the crank, blue it across the flywheels, scribe a line. Take it apart and use the line to realign. Brand new oem cranks have been rumored by Jr. Jackson no less, to be as bad as .010 on the run out. You set the crank between centers, and pop the flywheel, with a hammer(better than head butting it) till its within spec. This is the way it is still mostly done! Eric uses a special jig, not many others do. Eric probably uses a hammer to get any with issuesh within spec, it is the only way! If a guy, holds the right side with a wrench or what ever, and impact or whatever to get the other nut off, it can twist the flywheels out of spec. IMO, a backfire can knock it out of spec! I have access to presses, it is truly no big deal, 15 minutes with a coffee break! Shop rates in our area, the appliance repair guys are getting 75 dollars an hour! Piece of mind and letting a pro do it, priceless. Eric is modding the rest, so stick with the best! Chances are best that he can get a package deal, he does know a guy at wiseco/hotrods?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Are you sending the cylinder to Eric Gorr, but not the crankshaft? It has been a few years, but he quoted me $50 on just labor. If you haven't considered him for the job, then you may want to reconsider. It's a very precise job that should not be taken lightly!!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
sr5bidder said:
I would shop around for the crank labor man thats nuts!!!! I have a guy that does mostly airplane engines and he does the cranks for me for an hours labor =$55
julien_d said:
yeah, Eric quoted me $50 plus shipping for the crank rebuild. I ended up using these local guys though.
sr5bidder, next time you have your crank done, you can save 5 bucks labor from Eric.

Top Bottom