heli_brad

Mar 19, 2007
I have a 2000 rm250 and now i need to replace the crank bearings. I found the r/h bearing cage in pieces when i pulled the clutch out. so my question is, how difficult is it to split the case and change these? the engine is already out on the bench. Is it just a matter of splitting it carefully and swapping them or do i need special tools?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
A lot of people suggest using a case splitter, the can be rigged from a steering wheel pully. I suggest you have the entire crank rebuilt while you've got it out. It's about $150 to rebuild a crank with a new rod and rod bearing. The main bearings and seals run about $60 on top of that.

heli_brad

Mar 19, 2007
do you recommend splitting the case? from what i can tell it doesnt look too bad. or is it something I should leave to the pro's?

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
splitting the cases isnt that hard to do, it just takes time to make a tool or money to buy one. the main idea is to keep the cases aligned as your pulling them apart.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The chances of the big end of the rod still being usable,especially since you want maximum life out of your repair,REPLACE all the engine bearings.Check out hotrod,320 for a 125 kit,includes everything except a manual! ps,you would likely never clean all the metal out! Ummm,I have never seen a bearing get by a seal and go in the clutch cover,it usually goes up and out the exhaust. Taking everything out with it! Curious,,

Top Bottom