SHREK

Jan 28, 2005
can the left side crankshaft seal be replaced from the outside or do i have to split the cases ? its a 89 kdx200f .the flywheel cover was half full of oil :(

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I blew up my bike because of that. It made it run lean overheat and crack the intake bridge. It cost me $100 labor to have a shop replace crank and countershaft seals.

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Seals

I THought this COULD be done by prising out the seal and then tapping the new one in.

Its been a while since Ive looked at this but I am sure it could be done?!?!

If your going to have to do the job anyway, I would definatly give it ago before splitting the cases!!

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
r6demon said:
I THought this COULD be done by prising out the seal and then tapping the new one in.

Its been a while since Ive looked at this but I am sure it could be done?!?!

If your going to have to do the job anyway, I would definatly give it ago before splitting the cases!!

NOT on the KDX - the seal is under the bearing - look at it online (kawaski's website)....it retained from the INSIDE - not the outside like most other bikes your thinking of.

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I have heard rumours that you can put the case half in your oven and heat it up to 350, then tap the old bearings out. Pull the new bearing out of the freezer and tap it in to the still hot case.

This is not first hand knowledge though and I'm sure there will be voices screaming "Never do that!"
-doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. Would I try it? Probably, I'm a cheap yankee.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
if you have a lefft side oil leak in the FW cover......

before split the case for nothing (like i did) remove the flywheel and look on the case area where the shaft go out.you will see 3 slots around the shaft.clean these slots with parts cleaner then sand a little then fill the slots with JBWELD .this will stop the 2 stroke engine oil leak.(98% sure)try this... maybe your seal is still good.this trick works for a lot of guys with 89-94 200. GOOD LUCK! :)

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
kdxquebec said:
if you have a lefft side oil leak in the FW cover......

before split the case for nothing (like i did) remove the flywheel and look on the case area where the shaft go out.you will see 3 slots around the shaft.clean these slots with parts cleaner then sand a little then fill the slots with JBWELD .this will stop the 2 stroke engine oil leak.(98% sure)try this... maybe your seal is still good.this trick works for a lot of guys with 89-94 200. GOOD LUCK! :)

Is this the same for '95 and up models?

Top Bottom