C0mbatCarl

Feb 26, 2009
so i bought a 1992 kdx 250. the dude started it right up before i got it so i didnt think anything appeared wrong. but... im also new to bikes, so its not like i know what to look for anyway. the previous owner claims to have had the top end rebuilt. so, when my new problem arose i called them to ask what they might suggest. the problem is the kick lever wont always grab. when it does, the bike will not start every time. there is definatly compression, but im not totally sure im right about that also. can i get some suggestions please?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
What did they say when you called them?

Anyway, make sure you pick up a service manual for your bike. You're going to want it in the future.

There are 2 gears and a small spring that can wear out in the kickstart assembly, any one of which will cause the symptom you describe. Take off right side engine cover and remove the clutch. This will allow you to remove the kickstart assembly. Looking at it from the back you will see how the ratchet gear engages the spur gear, and the little spring that keeps tension on the two parts. Replace what looks worn, or replace all three parts.

J.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Its probably half way through the stroke the times it doesn't seem like it grabs. What you can try doing is get the piston to TDC (top dead center) by slowly pushing the kicker down then, lift all the way up and push slowly until there is resistance then give it a strong kick all the way through. Chances are you're just doing it wrong. Technique.

Top Bottom