Crashed -- And now the bike is fouling plugs

Apr 16, 2006
I have a 2004 KX250 and last weekend I crashed pretty hard. Nothing to major just tweaked my stearing. My bike has been running great since I purchased it a couple of months ago. Ever since the crash the bike has been fouling plugs after about 10 miles of riding. The only thing that's changes is I crashed. I do understand the bike is running rich and I should probably adjust the jetting. My question is what changed when I crashed? In two months it never fouled plugs and now after the crash it does.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I take it the pipe is not deformed? Maybe something electrical (ignition cutting out)?

I would not be too quick to adjust jetting, since I don't think the crash changed your jets.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
float height is a good place to check, had it happen on several occasions, if it got knowcked out of spec a lil it could cause your fouling plug problem

Apr 16, 2006
Thanks for the input. I didn't want to mess with jetting yet since it didn't foul plugs before the crash. The pipe looks to be in good condition.

Apr 16, 2006
Update -- I checked the float level and it did look to be in spec. However I did notice a couple of things wrong. The first is now that I have an aftermarket gas tank that sits lower I don't believe my plug wire was on all the way. After I crashed last week the plug fouled out. So I put a new plug in on the side of the trail and ever since then I’ve had this problem. I noticed that when I had my tank off that the plug wire went on better. The second problem I noticed is some sludge in my air box between the carb and filter it looked like some of the filter rim grease. Put it all back together and started it second kick. Hopefully the problem is fixed. We will see next time I go riding.

Apr 16, 2006
I have not checked the hoses yet. I should of done that last night. But I wanted to get my bike back together versus have it torn down in the garage another day.

Top Bottom