NJP3

Jul 29, 2003
What exactly makes the X more suitable 4 trails than the R?? If its just a stupid electric start, than Ill take the R = 20lbs lighter, $200 cheaper? Do you think the R would perform well in the woods? Or is the X really the better choice for the trail?

Thnx
NJP3

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Besides the e-start, I think the X will have a spark arrestor, will be California legal exhaust and emmissions (may not matter where you live), 18" rear wheel, o-ring chain, kickstand, larger tank, odometer, head and tail lights, wide ratio transmission. 

If you value those things, you would be hard pressed to add even a few of them to the R for only $200. 

If you don't care about the e-start and you want extremely light weight in a trail bike, the ulimate would probably be getting the R and spending lots of $ turning it into a X.  Or you could get an X and spend lots of $ to put it on a diet.  Or just get the one you like the best and ride it.

IMO, Honda should be applauded for giving us the option.  And 232 pounds (the X claimed weight) is pretty light for a trail equipped e-start 4 stroke, even if it is only 250cc.

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"Besides the e-start, I think the X will have a spark arrestor, will be California legal exhaust and emmissions (may not matter where you live), 18" rear wheel, o-ring chain, kickstand, larger tank, odometer, head and tail lights, wide ratio transmission."
A quick dollar count of "qualilty aftermarket parts" to redo this could land you in the $1800 bracket easily (probably closer to 3 with install labor...) For the woods rider - looks to me like the that $200 would be a wise investment!!
I am with you Dave - GO HONDA - what a GREAT day and age to be part of this sport!!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sorry NJ - I missed your question... I predict/think the Honda X will go the same way as the Yam WR for a while. The R for race and the X for play.. IMHO - It seems that the YZF came out on top (sales proved that it was the bike of choice too) for "woods" use because of some of the very reasons you mentioned. Of course, there are certain folks out here (my self included) who MUST have street legal status on their "woods bike" in order to use it legally and it appears that this group is growing... That X will be WAY cheaper to "legalize" and the WR tranny will be GREATLY appreciated by lots of us (personally, I hope they "corrupt" the CRF450 too - that would be AWESOME..).
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
No one knows - they are not out yet...

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
OK, I'm not sure but I think there is a timing difference between the two like the YZF and WR. Cool lights and E-start. Maybe flywheel weighting? Yes 232 is a competable weight for a trail bike. Same as a KDX.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
For a track? Just get the R(if you race). I 'magine the clickers are set on soft on the X(like a YZF/WR). If you ride the track for fun(and trails) just get the X. You can always put pipes on it and port it and other kinds of expensive stuff but you don't have to have fun. Wait till they come out and bum a test ride.

Top Bottom