Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2008
Hi,
I own Both a 2004 crf150f (an F not R) and a 2006 KTM 85sx (small wheel), and would like get a bike that is just a little faster and a little bigger, so I was planning on selling my two bikes and buy a new crf150r expert. But than heard from one of buddies that my ktm is faster than a crf150r, so i have been looking it and can't find to much. So if anyone can tell me if the crf150r expert is faster than my ktm 85sx, it would be awesome.

Thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
No it isn't. It will be easier to go faster for a less talented rider on a CRF150R but a talented 85 rider will still put it to the 150R.

If you want a bit more go big bore on the KTM or move up to the 105SX.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I assume by you name your racing harescramble’s. It’s all about who’s twisting the throttle. The expert 150r is going to out perform the 85. What you need to compare it to is the ktm 105 they are more closely matched. If you prefer 2 stroke go with the 105 if you prefer 4 stroke get the 150r. I saw one rider overall 3 Gncc youth races last year on a 150r. The same rider overalled 2 morning races at another series signing up in a 200 class. So the bike can get it done its all about who’s riding it. Try and ride each one if you can before you buy, that’s the best way to know.

Nov 15, 2008
OK thanks guys, and yes I do race harescrambles but I am also planning on trying mx this year. I think that would be my best bet to try riding one before hand.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The 150r I rode was pretty mellow feeling. It didn't hit like an 85. It pulled from about midrange to a meaty, but not crazy, top end. I felt like it was working pretty hard and don't know how I feel about that considering all the extra moving parts inside that micro-machine motor. I haven't yet ridden a 105, but the wifey thinks she might want to step up in a year or two so we might go give one a try.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
May be different in the woods but a stock 150R would get eaten alive on an mx track by a KTM 105SX and beaten by an adept two stroke rider on the 85SX. If the 150 was the end all be all of advantages you'd already see a Blue, Yellow and Green one just like you did in the 250F class.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think it will all come down to the rider the bike is a small part of it. The 150R is a neat little bike but to put it in to perspective the neighbor kid has one and my son consistantly ran away from him on his Eric Gorr built CR85.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom