Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I'm looking to purchase a CRF450 and with the new changes in Green sticker laws I can get an '02 with a green sticker or an '03 with a red sticker.

Any feedback from those that have had both years. Is there enough difference between the two years to warrant going to a '03?

I have ridden both, but don't have enough time on either to notice a big difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumb:

Ol'89r

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I have ridden both, but don't have enough time on either to notice a big difference.
Neither have I. My 02 feels the same to me as both Gomer's, and MXtuners 03's. I know they made changes to the linkage on the 03 as well as added a little more torque down low. I do feel that a little on the 03's, but I dont see it as enough of an issue to validate buying an 03 instead of an 02. Now supposedly I think they solved the valve issue on the 03'.(anyone correct me if I'm wrong) Other than that I would let a good offer/price sway me. Its really just an issue of wheter or not you want new or used. Good luck and glad to hear your in the market for a new machine :aj: (especially a THUMPER!! :laugh: :moon: )

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks Bryan.

The big issue is the green sticker. Can't get one with an '03

jdrucker. Hope your luck holds out. With the new laws they may re-issue you a red sticker.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
89r - You might want to send a PM to Billy. He has spent a lot of time on both the 02 & 03. I know he prefers the '03 but the reasons why escape me at this point.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks Rich.

I did that. Just waiting for him to pm back. :thumb:

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Not to start a flame thread in the wrong forum, but I just really think ya'll are getting hosed over there in Cali. :flame: So how I've understood it is that if the OHV doesn't have a green sticker it will not be allowed on state property? And there are sooo few bikes out there right now that are even green sticker legal that are real competition machines. Man that sucks......:(

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by flynbryan
So how I've understood it is that if the OHV doesn't have a green sticker it will not be allowed on state property?

Bryan.

With a green sticker you can ride any time of the year. With a red sticker you can still go to the off road vehicle parks, except you are limited to certain times of the year. This hasn't happened yet, but when they get their act together I'm sure they will start to inforce it.

The problem with DMV is they keep changing the rules. Nobody there seems to know what the hell is going on.

The current changes are a good thing. It has made a lot of bikes that were red sticker only eligible for a green sticker. :thumb:

mxldy

Jun 2, 2002
I had an 02 CRF and now have a 03 CRF 450. I find the the 03 has a bit more low end not a lot but it is noticible. The buggest thing I found was that the 03 turns better, no need to change the clamps unless you want it to turn even tighter. It has a stiffer shock spring for 03.

If you are going to just ride it outdoors and aren't concerned about the turning factor I think either year bike would suit your needs. I'm not familiar with CA green sticker law but it sound like the 02 would work.

BOL in your decesion

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Ol89 Geezer,

I love mine. But since I didnt ride an 02 model I cant give an opinion on that.
But now for the good news, I got a green stiscker for mine.
It just showed up in the mail.
I think that the issue with the green sticker is that anybike made prior to 03 will get a green sticker, and since almost all 03 model bikes are made in 02, you get a sticker.

bundy

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I think you got lucky Bundster, it's supposed to be model year, not year of manufacturing. Hope it holds out with the greeny! I think Billy likes the 03 better cause what he broke on the 02, Honda went and reinforced that specific part.;)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
as mentioned, the steering could be a major difference. My friend has the '03 450, and claims it "pushes" in corners more than his CR250. the '02 had slower steering.

Top Bottom