rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I went in too the local Honda dealer looking @ a CRF450, i plan on selling my bike i have now and getting a 2005 CRF.. The salesman tells me that he heard they are going too fuel injection.. I dont know if i would want FI, carbs have been reliable too me & easy too work with.. Has anybody heard this?? Any other changes for 2005??

Thanks in advance,
Rick

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
i have always rode yellow... even my street bike.
but if honda puts fi on the 450, i will sell my rm250 and buy one at all cost.

i know suzuki will eventually but i cant wait...

damon

Sep 29, 1999
i don t think jap will move to fi in mx bikes,carb are more efficient and less cost,also they don t want to push the price of bike at stars

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I hope they dont go over too FI, just cause ive never tinkered w/FI.. We'll see what happens, the salesman could've been talking BS, who knows..
Rick

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Hey rickyd, I see our Saturday ride convinced you to seriously check out the CRF huh? I don't know the answer to your question, but it's entirely possible that the salesman didn't know what he was talking about. When I went to look at my new KTM on the sales floor, the guy trying to sell couldn't tell me about half the changes they made to the bike between then and 2003. At least I had the info from the internet. Now hurry up and buy one so I can try it out!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Yeah Aaron let me ride his KTM after you had left for home.. 1st time ive ridden a 4stoke since the xr75 i learned too ride on.. WHen i get a new bike, your more than welcome too ride it, heck you can ride the KX if you want :thumb: I'm gonna probably sell my bike around the start of summer, then wait for an 05 too come out, or just buy the 05 and then sell the KX.. Either way, a thumper is in my future..
Rick

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Awesome. I'll see if I can go into Redwood City Honda sometime this week and see if anyone there has heard about the fuel injection rumor on the 2005 CRF450. I'll let you know what I find out.

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
see thats the great thing about fi.. no tinkering. the computer will automatically compensate for simple bolt on's. larger items ( ie: full exhaust ) then a remap will need to be done. it is so much easier than you think. i learned about fi when i was a kid working at a turbo buick race shop...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
jackdrinker said:
it is so much easier than you think.

Yeah just ask Cannondale. :ohmy:

It's never as easy to do as it is to talk about . :cool:

Honda is a pretty conservative company in a lot of respects, and they clearly have a very competitive and cost effective setup using the reliable and easy to tune FCR carb. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Honda to be the first Japanese company to put EFI on a dirtbike.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Come too think of it, wouldn't they be testing the FI on their race bikes?? I think the salesguy was blowin smoke..

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
Honda is a pretty conservative company in a lot of respects, and they clearly have a very competitive and cost effective setup using the reliable and easy to tune FCR carb. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Honda to be the first Japanese company to put EFI on a dirtbike.

i bet people said the same about them trying an aluminium frame! :) although i doubt we will see FI on a big 4 prody bike, it would be cool, lets hope that it wont take them 5 years to make it work!

right, thats my lot in here, i am off back to my 2strokes........ in the mean time, dont get your valves out of adjustment guys! :clue: :joke: :laugh:

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Well, there is a big move on street bikes to FI on the last couple of years. I got a honde cbr600rr and it has FI and my friend has the older cbr600F3 that has the carb set up. The FI even on a street bike is still a little crude at low thottle positions. The transistion from accelerating to engine braking back to accelerating is a little jerky, kinda like an On/Off switch. On the carb bike, it's alot smoother.

The one place where i see a big advantage is starting the bike, FI makes it so easy and smooth when the motor is cold. No choke button, no sputtering, just press start and it fires up right away.

IMO FI is just the logical next step for a 4t bike.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
jackdrinker, what turbo buick shop did you work at? i have an 86 grand national, do you have turbo buick? i might have to sell the car though :ugg:

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
i worked for modern musclecar for a few years, my buddies uncle is mike licht.
yes i have a buick.. 87gn to be exact.
ops intercooler
ta49 turbo
37# injectors
th downpipe
atr pitbull single 3"
orange strip converter
terminator chip
and a few other secrets..

crwtf?

Jan 4, 2004
hey guys,
my take on fuel injection is that it is a very efficient, very simple to maintain, reliable system. Whether or not it has a place on a dirtbike is a different story. First of all, it compensates for changes in altitude, doesnt come out of adjustment, and is computer controlled to provide the best spark, air, and fuel mixture for power. Any roughness seen throughout the band may be associated with incorrect tuning or being out of mechanical adjustment. FI should run smoother and pickup as quick or quicker than a carb setup. Honda also seems to have faith in the idea of fuel injection for the two wheeled world, just look at the super sucessful cbr 600 f4i. Not only that, Ducati has been using weber marelli FI in their street bikes for years, and aint many japanese piped bikes running away from a stocker duc. FI has huge potential and is extremely adjustable. They can be adjusted (the fuel map and timing and such) from a laptop in the pits, while the bike is being ridden. This is formula 1 technology currently, but nearly every team now has some system to find out what the motor is doing at every point around the track. They do this for a reason. Getting to feel for your motor and tuning it accordingly is an art, but an important one. Last time I checked every second (every horsepower on the front straight) counted for something, especially among your riding "buddies", right? I cant stress this enough. TAKE NOTES ON YOUR BIKE!!!!! Always, Always, because it can help you learn what works best where, how you tuned it when it worked, how you tuned it when it didnt, what clicker settings were good for that whip landing, what grips and bars you didnt like, what noises the bike starting making before you grenaded the head...... You get the picture. Your bike should be, in some respects, like your woman. You gotta know her, listen to her (more the bike than the woman on this one), and you gotta take care of her, cuz then she takes care of you. Besides, your woman likes a winner, even if she says she doesnt care if you get last place.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
jackdrinker, thats really cool you got to work at modern musclecar, mike lict is a good guy to deal with, i ordered plug wires of him. my car has almost the same mods as yours but i was planning on going with a pt51 turbo, from 009 injectors and a stretched stock location intercooler cas.

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
lonewolf,
although cas makes a great piece, getting it WILL be a problem. Guys on turbobuicks.com have been screwed so many times over by him.
Have you had any problems with that pt51?

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
jackdrinker, i dont have the pt51 yet, it was gonna be one of my next mods. its actually a toss up between the te44, ta49, and pt51. i have heard of problems with the 51 though. as far as CAS i know there is problems with them, but i dont know where else to get a stock location intercooler, maybe Mease Performance but the has been problems with them too. how about dropping me an email, we can discuss cars there, its Lonewolf86gn@aol.com, moderators might be getting mad because we are way off the topic.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom