EXC N TN

Nov 17, 2000
I have not ridden the new CRF450X and was wondering some of the riding impression differences between it and the XR650R. I would guess the XR650R would make a better dual sport conversion for use on fire roads. What do you think about the comparison of the two bikes?

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
IMO, I would get the 450X, I haven't ridden it, but my friend rode a XR650's (04 or 05, I dont remember) and he said that it was big, heavy and gutless. Now, he's comparing that to a 04 YZ250 so it would obviosly be big and heavy but I was surprised when he said it was gutless. That was a while ago, and then I read a review in a magazine that said that the bike needed jetting changes to feel good, but even then it still didn't run right. They also said it was easy to work on the bike though. -- I haven't ridden the the 450X but I would assume it would have as much power as a YZ250, or probably even more. Also, it would be ALOT lighter than a XR650. Hope this helps.

RVL

Mar 3, 2000
What are you going to do with it? Technical trails or dual sporting? I owned a 2000 XR650R and replaced it with a 2005 CRF450X. They are both fun, good bikes, but I like the 450X better because I do more tight trails and the electric starter is wonderful when you stall on a nasty hill or in a nasty place.
The 650 is not slow when uncorked. It has more torque than you can possibly imagine. The low end of any 450 is gutless by comparison, but the 450X has plenty. I just put a JD jetting kit in my X and it was good to go. I later on cut the top of the airbox, and it was much faster. The only thing I am going to do is diddle with the suspension and ride it.

EXC N TN said:
I have not ridden the new CRF450X and was wondering some of the riding impression differences between it and the XR650R. I would guess the XR650R would make a better dual sport conversion for use on fire roads. What do you think about the comparison of the two bikes?

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
I have a magazine comparison here in a big pile of mags with the 450X and another with the XR650s.
The 450X was a disappointment, although they said it was the favorite bike to ride in the camp after the actual ride was over. Honda does spend huge $ on advertising so they always have to say something good about them. Although they did say the 450X was very quiet and that is a really really good thing.

In the other comparo, the 650 was rated huge, underpowered, under suspended, outdated and poorly jetted.

Unless you're in deep with your local Honda dealer, take a closer look at the other manufacturers. You have some incredible options, especially if your buying new.. KTM525, Husky510, WR450, even a DR400.

I personally have no experience riding the 450X but I did ride a XR650 years ago. It was a big heavy bike that I road on a fire/forest access road. It went straight fine but was very top heavy while power sliding. I actually tipped it over when turning it around and had trouble getting it back up.

Aug 26, 2005
Absolutely 450X! Much lighter and the latest 4-strokes have come a LONG way since the Stone Age, when the basic XR motors were developed. If you don't have to have a Honda, the WR450F has gotten a lot of praise recently. I am looking into a WR myself for woods riding.

anthonysimo

Nov 18, 2005
XR650 vs. CRF450X
Depends what you want to do with them and possibly your own size /weight.
I have ridden both and if you are into trailering the bike to the riding spot and blasting through tight bush and technical trails the 450X will do this better. The small tank sucks as I have heard rev heads get less than 90-100kms (50-60 miles) from a tank. You don't put this bike on a highway for any length of time.You dont want to run it at night at speed either. Due to its lighter weight alone probably the better bike for smaller riders (under 80 kgs) as these guys may find the XR650 just to big.The XR650R will get most places the 450X will but is at least 20kg heavier and needs to be muscled through the tight sections which becomes tiring after a while if your dont ride heaps (read are as unfit as me).The lack of the magic button sucks but the torque is unreal and can move sorry fat butts down the trail at speeds only a few other big bikes can manage. Possibly the better bike for really tall/big guys.
Uncorked my 650 will easily see 100mph (and this is geared down alot for the bush) and I have seen magazine tests that have got close to 150-160 mph on these, something that only BIG Husabergs, KTMs and huskies can give. the CRF450X with standard gearing hits the rev limiter at 85-90 mph.
I am currently looking at either a CRF450X or the KTM 525 for serious bush riding with mates that have wr450s and KTMs.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Like everyone here is saying, it really depends on what you want to do with it. The 650 would be a great dual sport bike, hitting the highway for 50 miles would be no big deal. The 450 on the other hand....

And I find this very, very hard to believe. :rotfl: You sure you didn't mean kilometers per hour?
anthonysimo said:
Uncorked my 650 will easily see 100mph (and this is geared down alot for the bush) and I have seen magazine tests that have got close to 150-160 mph on these, something that only BIG Husabergs, KTMs and huskies can give. the CRF450X with standard gearing hits the rev limiter at 85-90 mph.
I am currently looking at either a CRF450X or the KTM 525 for serious bush riding with mates that have wr450s and KTMs.
What magazine tested it to over 150 mph? There's no way! A hopped up KX500 would be lucky to see 115 mph when geared for it. You need a lot more hp than the 650 has to push it that fast. With heavy mods and deep gearing I'd be surprised if it would even get close to 120 mph.

150+ mph is for aerodynamic crotch rockets with 100+ hp.

anthonysimo

Nov 18, 2005
XR650 top speeds

Sorry top speed XR 650 should have been nearly 200 km/hr which is about 115-120 mph.
In the test they removed the front guard as it was causing front end twitch at anything over 140 km/hr.

Sorry 150miles per hour was brain fade during conversion. :bang:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
anthonysimo said:
Sorry top speed XR 650 should have been nearly 200 km/hr which is about 115-120 mph.
In the test they removed the front guard as it was causing front end twitch at anything over 140 km/hr.

Sorry 150miles per hour was brain fade during conversion. :bang:

Ok, whew. I was afraid for a minute we were going to have a bunch of newbie mis-information. I know XR 650's are fast, but not quite that fast! I've ridden 80-90 hp street bikes that have trouble getting anything above 120 mph (for some stupid reason I always have to see how fast everything goes :bang: )

anthonysimo

Nov 18, 2005
US magazine I dug from collection was US Dirt Bike March 2002 four bikes on the cover a KTM 540 ($1100 dollar mod on a 520), Husaberg 650, a team Honda XR650R and a Price Racing KX500.
Raced at El Mirage final best speeds recorded with tail wind was over 120mph and over 100mph against the tail wind.All run on motocross tyres. These speed feaks just wouldn't give up and it made for a great read. Regards.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom