slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Has anyone ridden both of these. I have plenty of time on the crf but havent ridden a ttr50 yet. Aside from the electric start on the ttr I want to know what differences noticed and peoples opinions from riding them both. I plan on buying one or the other in the next week. Im sure aftermarket items will be popping up like mad soon for the ttr so Im not to worried about that aspect.

Do tell...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Didnt the TTR just release? May be a while before any reports surface. The CRF owns that market and the aftermarket. I just don't see the TTR catching up, but who knows?

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
It sure looks pretty sweet. So far the only thing I dont like is that if you do want a kick start on it, its like a 300 buck option. If I end up getting it, I will update with my little report on it.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I just saw a review in Dirt Bike. The TTr50 is nothing more than a Chinese CRF50 knock-off with electric start. The bike weighs 10 pounds more than a CRF, but Jr. will be able to start it on his/her own.

jmossbarger

Apr 12, 2000
I don't think the article called the TTR a chinese knock-off, its a very high quality (relatively speaking) 50 that is pretty much identical to the CRF. It weighs a little more, but it also has a battery and electric start. From what I have read, its basically color preference and aftermarket availability.

It is made in China, but under the controls of Yamaha, that is much differnent than the other Chinese models. I don't think that is a bad thing.

Joe

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
China, Japan...its all the same to me.

But I thought all bikes were cheap knock offs of Hondas? LOL

All the aftermarket makers are jumping on parts for it allready. BBR and the rest make bunches allready.

As for the electric start. I have a feeling that would be more of pain than a asset as a pit bike. Just something to maintain and replace when bad. I plan on going and buying one or the other after NOV 1st as the "christmas specials start" as the dealer told me.

Ill have to find that article of dirt bike.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I ended up with a little CRF50. Just couldnt beat the ole Honda. I got it NEW for 999.00 OTD. If anyone is in California I suggest going to otdcyclesports to get your next bike. No haggle best OTD price you will ever see. And dealer in southern cal and now northern cal also.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I read the article too. I did not take away from that article that the bike was a cheap chinese knock off. In fact they make the point to mention that they entire bike was designed by yamaha engineers and the found it could be built to their specs cheaper by the chinese plants. I have seen some good quality stuff come out of china as far as pit bikes go. I personally don't think yamaha would let the chinese builders skimp totally on quality and I'd bet they have decent quality control measures in place. Yamaha knows that a crap knockoff would tarnish their rep. After all they are looking for future sales.

Top Bottom