hardrock

Dec 10, 2005
I am new here so whats up. I just got back into dirt riding after ten years. Started riding Harleys when I was younger. Still do. I got myself a 04 xr 250r. I got my son who has never been on a bike before a 05 crf70. I hope I did not go to small. He is 10 years old and about 80lbs. I have not given it to him yet. The dearler said he would let me bring it back and get a bigger bike if I wanted. I just do not know. He is also 4' 9". What do you guys think. This is the bike the dealer told me to get. He told not to waste my money on a 80 and the 100 would be to big.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
He's almost 5 feet tall, he's already too big for the 70, and I think he'll outgrow the power of a crf70 in about 2 minutes. I take it you are mostly going to be doing trail riding? Something like a TTR125 or CRF100, KLX110, or an 80 2-stroke MX'er sounds like it would fit the bill nicely, and still give him a little bit of growing into to do.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
CRF 100 but he's going to have to learn the clutch. My daughter ius about his size and shes on a XR 100.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Sure, he will outgrow it quickly, IF you give him plenty of opportunity to ride it. BUT, he will then be hooked & have a hunger to ride that will be insatiable. As I have posted here before, my just turned 11, 59.75 inch, 80 lb. daughter still prefers to ride our XR 70. She is quite capable of riding the 80, but I see no reason to force her. I figure she has to learn to make her own choices and soon enough will want the extra power and size of the 80. To me, confidence and fun are what riding is all about. I've seen too many new riders get scared and then become reluctant, hesitant, and lacking confidence. That feeling is NOT fun.

Buy the 70; it won't cost you much to trade up to a bigger bike later & you'll know what kind of rider he is and what kind of 2nd bike he needs (playbike 4-stroke or 2-stroke MX.) :ride: :cool:

Top Bottom