souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
one of the bolts that holds the gas tank, that goes into the frame criss threaded i think-is there a way i can fix this without replacing the frame-is the a drill bit that i can get that will fix it??? please tell me i won't have to get a new frame

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
taake the bolt to a auto store and get a heli-coil kit, they are about 35$ and very simple to put in.

ThunderMtn

Mar 4, 2004
Dude!!

Dude... Cross threaded bolt?? You definitely need a new frame, if not a new bike all together!!!! All kidding aside, get a heli-coil as suggested or simply drill and tap the hole to accept the next size fastener. A manual typically has a section on damaged fasteners.. I reccomend it as a sound investment....

JE223

Feb 22, 2004
If the bolt is cross threaded, then it didn't go in very far. If you buy a "taper" tap that is the original size, you should be able to pick up the original thread and straighten out the damage. Use a bolt that is slightly longer and that should fix it. If the thread is stripped, then use the Helicoil. Helicoils are great, if they are installed correctly.

B

biglou

Yep, get a tap and try that route first. Be sure to tap straight. It should clean out the damaged threads and give you enough to bite into. If the threads on the bolt are damaged at all, replace it. Use some blue loctite, too. "Loctite 262" or equivalent. If this doesn't work, then install the helicoil. A tap should cost you about $5 or less at any decent hardware or automotive parts store. It's worth it to try the tap first.

Top Bottom