Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I am considering lowering my seat height on my 2000 200exc. I can't decide between cutting the subframe or the seat foam. My concern about cutting the seat foam is changing the contour of the seat. I don't want to create a saddle effect, which will make it more difficult to stay forward when needed and to move around on the bike. The subframe modification seems to only lower the rearend of the seat and not really help with touching the ground. The seat height normally isn't a problem, except when I ride very technical areas (which is my favorit place to ride) and want to dab a little. I have a 30" inseam and a bad lower back, so I'll take any advantage I can get. I would like to hear from people with experience in these areas that could help me out. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Neal

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
I cut the subframe and it helped some. As soon as my 2003 gets in I will cut the subframe and the seat Looks like they flatend out the tank on the 2003 520 so it looks like I can take out another inch from the seat and not make to deep of a hole to sit in (28" inseam).

robj

Oct 31, 2000
Monkeybutt - when you next do your suspension you could get your forks and shock shortened with internal spacers ( = about half an inch off the seat height) Doesn't seem a lot but every bit helps. This way you don't alter the footpeg to seat top distance or seat angle.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Monkey but -it wont make it much shorter apart from when its softer you sink into it a little more.It will also help when the seat hits you in braking bumps etc.A much underrated part of suspension tuning is the seat hardness.Alot of people complain about the KTM suspension when the rock hard seat is partly to blame.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I too have a 30 inch inseam. First thing I did on my 125sx was to shave the seat down as far as I could without cutting through. It ends up very similar to a "free-ride" seat. I did no further modification and the bike is about perfect now.
I have no trouble with the transition from standing to sitting into the corner.
I know there is discussion on the center of gravity thing, but it feels that my bike turns so much sharper after the seat shave.
Everyone that sees my bike asks: "Did you have that bike lowered?"
:)
As an after thought....since you are riding an exc, and may have a bit more seat time than a MX'er, you may well want to consider Marcus' suggestions.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom