sx-r Lou

Dec 12, 2004
hello, I have anew piston for my 99 kx and right now I have everything off; carb, gastank even the 4 cly bolts, ect My Q is is the power valve,does it have to be removed before the cly can be pulled off? And is it in the front of the cyl. where the rad. is blocking or the side cover. Any help here would be great

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
There is a cover on the side. (3x1.5) There is a screw with left hand treads. This hold the actuator linkage. Remove this and don't forget that it is left handed. Remover the cylinder. Then remove a retaining rod and the power vavle cover. Keep plenty of rags handy. The power valve has two shafts that come up from the bottom of the cylinder, remove them paying close attention to which hole they come out of, it takes a rotating motio and a slight pull to overcome the o rings. Locate a manual before reassembly to make sure you time the powervalve assembly. Not real tough, just messy. Clean everything thoroughly, inspect the nicosil and check your rod for excessive freeplay. Should take about an hour and a half , tear down and reassembly provided you don't need to replate. Drain all of the coolant before you start and remove the radiators to get the best access. The 99 KX 250 was my frist powervalve top end and it went smoothly.

ecy063

Sep 15, 2005
On the right lower side of the cylinder there should be a plastic cover has to be removed. A tiny 'c' clip on the exposed shaft is removed and the lever can then be pulled off the shaft using a 9mm open end wrench. The remaining valve components can be removed for cleaning after the head is on the bench. Don't let even a speck of dirt fall into the crank case.

sx-r Lou

Dec 12, 2004
OK THANKS guys job done. This was my first dirt bike engine( i rebuild jets skies) it was not that bad just the power valve looked like a moon rock!... It took longer to get that out and clean it, than to reassamble> since its too cold for my jet ski buddys, now dirt bike season starts. And I found the right place toget help! Thanks Lou

Top Bottom