wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
Wardy/AJ,
When a D17 club or promoter sponsors an AMA sanctioned event that includes a class which is not recognized by D17, why do the participants have to join D17?????

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
We have that rule simply to keep all riders up to date on classification status, and help keep promoters running the correct classes. If the District would not have the (if you live in the district you have to have a card rule) then we would have a lot of riders riding non-district classes and avoiding advancement. Not to mention that if riders want to have a good strong organization to help tracks with number systems, steady rider turn outs, and uniformed rules& enforcement, the tracks and the board has always thought it is a good idea that ALL riders have the same memebership requirments.
Please remember that the district rules are asked for, voted on, and pass or fail by the tracks you race at. My job as a Director is to keep points, help tracks if they have rule questions, organize and impliment advancement, deal with rider questions pertaining to the rules, act as a mediator at times between the tracks and riders as a representitive of the district on the tracks behalf.
Riders should relize that in this district, rules, and the organization are track/club based........so to help or get your input in the system one needs to join a club. It's to bad that many clubs are having and have had a real problem with keeping membership.

hope that answers more questions then it created!

wardy

wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
Thanks for the quick reply Wardy. I was not bashing D17, I fully support D17 with my annual membership, even though I will not compete in an event this year. I understand the need for D17 and appreciate the dedication provided by the directors. BTW, I am the treasurer/secretary of Canton M/C.

I was a bit vague with my question. Sorry. I was referring to when clubs will try a new class to see if they can get more interest in our sport. They are not trying to take away from the D17 classes, but trying to find a niche class that is not being addressed with the standard classes. I have seen the "niche classes" turn into D17 classes, which benefits everyone. Often times the people entering the new class are new to racing and just wanting to "try it out". In order to "try it out" they must join AMA, D17 and pay the class entry fee, which is at least a $90 total. They must join AMA(Insurance), but making them join D17 when there is no governed D17 class seems a little odd. You make a good point that it is easier for everyone(D17, clubs, etc..) if we follow the "You must join to ride" rule.

Anyway, just my .02 cents.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
At NETRA events they offer a "one event" pass for $10, rather than joining NETRA for $35.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
is about costs I guess to. The district has to cover alot of mailings (paper) and other things. 20.00 is a hit for that rider along with AMA at 40, plus the race day expenses. But I look at it as a rider that spends 4k+ on a used or new bike will only incur that fee once a year. I kinda feel that we put out a good product and hopefully by buying a membership a rider will ride more events.
Anybody can get insurance pretty much for an event, AMA just Organizes it for the promoter/club and it makes the whole package easier. Even some our local non-ama promoters still have a sanction or membership card. We feel like you, that the district has a value, and we want to keep that value. One part of keeping a value on a product is that it costs money to belong.

Exactly the process, new classes form with clubs/promotors trying them out, usually its riders that already have the cards but sometimes it's new riders in those new classes.
I hope that the fee for the card doesn't keep a rider from racing, but if it does I wonder how serious that rider is about it in the first place?

I hope to have answered your question, I am of course kinda bias to it all but it's some thing that has worked for a long time

wardy

Top Bottom