MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I guess this is a flame???
Ok my dirt bike has been dead for a wile. Me and my dad have been doing things here and there on it.The bike wont start without starter fluid , then once the fluid burns off it dies. I think its the top end , and the jets for the carb. I think its the jets because the bike is just fowling(sp?) , in sted of the gas being spraid as a mist I think it puddling up on the piston. I also KNOW its the top end because I called the guy we bought it from and said it has about 200HR. on that top end. Yes i said 200HR:scream:. Where my Dad is used to 4 strokes (he only owned harleys). He think the top end would last that long. Also he think it wont start because of the float needle. Tell me what you think of this.
((Sorry about the spelling:( ))

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
ok ill try there

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
yep

The compression is one of the first thing we checked

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
OK, you checked the compression. How? With a compression tester, or just by kicking it over and judging the resistance? It's hard to believe a small-bore two-stroke with 200 hours on the top end could have good compression. And if it doesn't, it's not going to start. In fact, if it's real bad, the lower end is probably toast as well, from the combustion leaking down past the rings and piston.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
just because I checked the compression doesn't mean it was good. it was bad but not to bad. when you kick it over it's wanting to start. It's doing one of those nummburrm every time you kick it. Also we all ready did the whole bottom end. But my dad said be for we put any big money in to it he wants it to run. It used to run in the begining of this summer. but after 3 months of not doing any thing to the bike it wont start. My dad also said that were gona re build the carb. Then he said if it still doesn't work we'll rip down the top. We will do every thing, piston, rings, circlips, vavles, gaskets, piston pin. . . and so on. If it still don't work then I don't no what ill do :scream: !!

Last edited:

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
But seriously, You gotta do a top end bud. Your dad won't be wasting any money by getting a top end for you. If that is all that is wrong, you will be amazed at the differance in performance when you first ride it (after breaking it in, of course) It's amazing it lasted 200 hours. What bike are you working on anyway?

Last edited:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Hey guys the kids bike won’t start try some useful advise first.

Do the simple stuff first. Sparkplug, Sparkplug cap, clean or replace airfilter (replace by now) Check that the coil is grounded properly. (clean contacts, check with meter etc).

Clean carb out properly esp pilot jet (never poke with wire though). Drain old gas out & check for water replace with fresh if unsure how old.
Wouldn’t hurt to repack the muffler & see how much carbon build up is in the pipe.

Once a plug is wet fouled it may never recover properly so change it. Use the recommended heat range.

If starter fluid works then the carb is not working properly.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
You're right David T. I didn't mean to give the kid a hard time; he actually writes a pretty decent post for his age.

But really, it sounds to me like the thing has completely lost compression, and it's never going to start if it has. It may fire from time to time, especially with lighter fluid, but it can't really run. Believe me, I know the symptoms. I took three motorcycles and two kids to New Mexico last spring break. I knew that two of the bikes should probably have had a top end rebuild, but I thought they would last one more ride. They didn't. I now am super-sensitive to the sound and feel of a bike that is losing compression.

Monkeymouse, either borrow a compression tester or take the bike to a good dealer; he can tell just by the pressure at the kickstarter whether you have enough compression to run.

Good luck, and keep asking questions until you get the problem solved.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Sounds like pop has the plan !

you should keep pestering him nicely! do thing's like showing him A school work, do small jobs around the house, get along with the intire family© make your self seen doing these jobs©and most of all spend good qauily time with him talking dirt bikes, the man will be so happy with you he'll have to fix the bike©

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
thanks

Thanks guys, I've been asking about every day to work on it ((he wont let me work on my own bike?!)). He said that this weekend were gona rebuild the carb. Then over winter ((in time for earily spring ridding)) were gona take the engine out of the bike. Then were gona strip it down to the case and rebuild it form ground up. Yes my dad tested the compression and it was very very low. But I am still kind of mad bout all this cuz the only thing I've ridden all year is my l'il Z50. Also I was supposed to go ridding this Sunday wit my unk. oh well. Oh and my bike is a 1982 YZ100:) . JMD what do you mean " he actually writes a pretty decent post for his age" ?? i'm 13 . . .;) And David T its no little problem like any of those thing you said but thanks.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Monkeymouse, I know you're thirteen; that's painfully obvious. I was just trying to cut you a break. Don't make me regret that.

Also, if you want to stay on this site very long, I suggest you watch your language. The mods won't put up with much of that trash talk. This is far and away the best forum of its kind, and you could learn a lot here. Don't foul it up for yourself by over-reacting to a little ribbing. That's all part of the deal. The people who know are not always as patient as they should be with people who don't.

Top Bottom