moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Actually I can lp`ace the blame firmly on myself and those goon buggies that destroy our trails. I found myself with an 18" rut on either side (goon buggy trail) with a rounded hump in the middle. Well I close both ruts as the front was tracking left and the rear was tracking right. That didnt last long as I went down hard and tweaked my bars once again.

I find myself twisting my bars in the triples on a per-ride basis now. SOmetimes it is hard to see where the tweaking is occuring - but after loosenting the triples and also the rubber mounts - giving everything a good snap - all is fine.

This is starting to get old. I have finished too many events with bars 1/2" or more out of whack. May seem minor, but it drives me insane.

Anyone else have any suggenstions for solutions?

I was thinking of going to fat bars - do the fat bar setups remove the rubber mounts etc? I think that is where my problem is occuring.

sn

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Fat bars require you get all new mounts which are around $120 plus the fatties which are another $100. I just got the renthal 7/8 and went down in a rut last weekend and nothin happend. I had the fatties on my 300 exc and went down a couple times, those never bent either so I would say ur choice.

Elf

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
It isnt the bars themselves as I have Moose 7/8 which IMO are pretty decent bars for $50.

It has to be that rubber mounting setup that I just dont seem to like. Once I loosen the nuts on the bottom of the trees and tweak - everything appears ok.

So does the fat bar mount replace the whule upper clamp?

sn

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
I don't know why, but I can't seem to bend my stock bars leaving no excuse to buy new ones.

I've crashed hard so many times it's not even funny but the bars remain straight :p

Maybe I will have to have a trailer loading mishap like I did with my last bike. Bent the bars quite nicely :p

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
You can buy aluminum cones that replace the rubber ones. I'm not sure if it would keep the bars from twisting though. White Brothers has 'em. Otherwise, stop crashing.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I'm not trying to be a jackss or anything. Just sounds like if you slow down a little you would actually be going faster.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Replacing the rubber cones with metal ones with stiffen it up and stop the twisting but at a price....more felt vibration and your bars will bend when hammered. It will solve the problem though and should be pretty inexpensive to do.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
Are you using a one piece upper clamp? If not, get one off a kx or aftermarket supplier. Honda makes their cones out of urethane and they are much stiffer and more durable. Mounting your bark busters to the triple clamp will also stiffen up the bars. Just using the one piece upper clamp will most likely solve your problem and the rest will bulletproof your bars.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Mine used to twist all the time from a little tree hit or crash. Sucked racing with tweaked bars.

Got the Scott's high density rubber cones with permanent metal end caps (less vibes than all metal but much stiffer than OEM) AND the one piece FRP top clamp. Many crashes and bashes later the bars have not moved a millimeter. I am still slow, but at least the bike is headed in the direction I point the bars. :-)

L

LukeRips

YZ165 said:
I'm not trying to be a jackss or anything. Just sounds like if you slow down a little you would actually be going faster.

What??? Crashes will happen, you have to expect that no matter how fast your going. If your not going fast enough to crash, your not riding IMO. What he really wants to know is NOT how to avoid crashing but how-to keep from tweaking his bars everytime it happens. Get some Renthals, stock Kawi bars are the worst in the industry for reliability. And their bend reminds me of a set of bars from a '76 KX250.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I think I may first try the one piece upper. Hopefully that will stop the movement.

I found this one: 46012-1190 (off a 2004 KX125). I have to order a few OEM parts anyway - this looks to be the right size. Are the bolt patterns identical?

If I went with OEM Honda cones - do you switch lowers too - or is that a semi-universal size where I can use the Kaw stock lowers?

Thanks all for the advice - sans the stop crashing. You have to have decent get-offs to know where that fine line of capability lies. And to keep you humble.

sn

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
The KX top clamp or any top clamp will reduce the twist no cones more vibes extra tip make a piece or bolt you bark busters to the top triple clamp instead of the bars gives more room opens up the area to mount more goodies on.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Take a look at ProTaper's SE Bars.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I fianally broke down and got the fat bars, triple clamp and bar mounts when I got my steering stabilizer. Some of the best money I ever spent. No more tweeked bars and lots more room.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A couple of things:

The one piece top clamp will help a whole lot with bars getting tweaked due to less than stellar support of the oem bushings.

The high durometer bushings mentioned (let alone the aluminium (sic) ones) certainly do have a price as Skipro said. Too high a price for me! I took mine out in the middle of a ride 'cuz I couldn't stand the KTM buzz!! Hey! If I want my arms to be numb within ten minutes I'll just buy the orange package! (Mostly kidding. I've ridden a 200ex/c a good bit. It's a great (buzz-buzz) bike!)

You don't need to spend gazillions of $$ on bars, imo. Without the one-piece clamp the oem bars and a couple other sets of bars didn't last long. With the one piece clamp (from jay seavey/JCV) I've run the same set of Renthals for a couple of years. They haven't not bent 'cuz they haven't been whacked neither! (count the negatives)

Re: loosening the clamps
That has never been a problem with the conventional forks on my kdx. It is always a problem on USD stuff for reasons I don't understand. USD clamps generally have a larger bearing surface and are tightened to about the same spec. Still, I've seen a few bikes (different brands, different forks) that look like a DNA strand after a relatively light hit.

A Scotts makes a big difference. For one, it won't likely fit under a straight crossbar. For two, the loose pedestal bushings on the kdx tends to misalign the damper-to-post joint...and that will kill your damper in short order if you don't pay attention!

OK...I guess that's more than a couple...........;)

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
What do you all think about this setup?

They have a Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki version and a Yamaha version. I am guessing that the top triple is the same OEM setup from Red/Yellow and Green?

This and a set of Renthal Fat Bars is $150 - not too bad in the dollars department.

Any thoights?

Sean

Attachments

• LON_04_HND_BAR_CLP.jpeg
    LON_04_HND_BAR_CLP.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 72

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Here's a photo of the bars, clamp and brush guards I use. Total: $160 and they are ready for the Scott's dampner.

Attachments

• hg-top.jpg
    hg-top.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 70
  • hg-bottom.jpg
    hg-bottom.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 74
  • hg-left.jpg
    hg-left.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 70
Top Bottom